Voluntary Repo of house before BK?

Options
Myself and my wife are due to file for BK and have a joint mortgage. I was wondering do we apply for the voluntary repsession forms and send them off (Northern rock) before we petition for BK? Are there sections of the Vol repo form that i dont fill in i.e the statement that i am liable to amy shortfall?

thanks

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't send for any forms. Write your own letter and send the keys back recorded delivery when you move out of the house. Don't sign anything they send to you.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Dave1971
    Options
    Don't send for any forms. Write your own letter and send the keys back recorded delivery when you move out of the house. Don't sign anything they send to you.

Is it ok to hand the keys back and move out after BK? Will the shortfall (house worth 90K, Mortgage 90K, 30K unsecured loan, 3K early redmption all with Norhern rock) then fall under the BK. I thought any debt incurred after you petion and are granted BK is disregarded :confused:
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You incurred the debt before BR though so it can all go into BR. Is the 30k unsecured or secured debt? If it is unsecured are you really sure you want to give up your house?

:j :j

• dollparts
    dollparts Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FYP- your advice is always so helpful- thank you so much.

I'm joint owner with my exhb, if he were to go BR at some point after me would they still regard it as a debt incurred before my BR?
    There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
  • Dave1971
    Options
    You incurred the debt before BR though so it can all go into BR. Is the 30k unsecured or secured debt? If it is unsecured are you really sure you want to give up your house?

Its unsecured but have a bank loan of 8000 and combined credit card debt of 7000. We both recently lost our jobs and are looking to rellocate back to germany where my wife is from originally. We have very little chance of selling the house at the full 90k which would see us break even and just have to find the 30k unsecured and other debt.:confused:
  • fiveyearplan
    Options
    dollparts wrote: »
    FYP- your advice is always so helpful- thank you so much.

I'm joint owner with my exhb, if he were to go BR at some point after me would they still regard it as a debt incurred before my BR?
    Yes, you would have to list the property on BR forms and it would be included if you wanted it to be.

• fiveyearplan
    Options
    Dave1971 wrote: »
    Its unsecured but have a bank loan of 8000 and combined credit card debt of 7000. We both recently lost our jobs and are looking to rellocate back to germany where my wife is from originally. We have very little chance of selling the house at the full 90k which would see us break even and just have to find the 30k unsecured and other debt.:confused:

My point was - if the £30k was unsecured you could still keep the house if you wanted and all the unsecured debt would fall into your BR.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport