Need help with pay/tax!!! (sorry this is long!!)

Options
hi there, i am new to the forum.

i dont know if this is the right section/forum to post on.
but at the moment i am having trouble with my pay/tax. i will use these figures for example;-

ive been with my employer for approaching 3 years now, 5 day week 40hrs paid work, i used to gross £240 p/w or £6 p/h. now after tax/ni i got handed £198 cash, never had any reason to question this, but then i got married in May and moved up to were inlaws live, which is 25miles from work. after doing a bit of budgeting i came to a conclusion that 4 days p/week would be more beneficial to me, the 5th day was just covering the extra fuel i used to get there.

any way, my employer was just simply deducting a days pay and handing me £160 at the end of the week. now i knew this would be right and waited form him to update his books as i knew i should get abit more than that. so i asked for payslips as i dont get them (yes i know thats wrong) these have never appeared. so i phoned his accountant to request them direct, to which i found out that he had updated the books, i down as working 4 days p/w but he also cut my hourly rate from £6 to £5.73. Very angry. but wait it gets better, i contacted the inland revenue, they said i should have been netting £205 when i was full time, and £175 after dropping to 4days.

now how to i go about resolving this, 1: ive been underpaid as such for the past 3yrs (dont know where the money dissapeared to) and 2: my hourly rate was cut without being discussed.

where do i stand??

sorry for the big story!
hope someone can advise me!
many thanks
dan

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Well, either your gross pay has been wrong all these years or your employer has worked out your tax incorrectly. Without payslips its hard to tell. Have you received P60's for each year. Legally you have to have these and if you havn't I suggest you ask for them. If you dont get them, report the fact to HMRC.
    If you have been underpaid on the top line, then you need to sort it out with your employer, raising a grievance if necessary. if he has been operating PAYE incorrectly, then HMRC will refund the tax overpaid.
    If you have any probs with your emloyer, suggest you contact ACAS for help or the CAB for support.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • dannyg2325
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply.

i checked my p60, and yes it adds up with what i was getting handed every week. when you do the sums there was maybe only a slight difference in pence. but like i say when i phone the inland rev, they said this was incorrect i should have been netting £205, so maybe there is a problem with the way he is taxing me. so just need to sort out this pay cut i wasnt told about!

thank you for your help!
    dan
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Ask to do full tax returns for those years, that should sort it out if the Gross figure is correct on the P60.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I disagree with the previous answer. Do NOT do tax returns - there is no way you want to get into the SA system and nor do you need to.
    There is nothing to stop you asking HMRC make a refund to you based on the P60's, you dont need to make a formal return. I am surprised that they didnt offer to do this. Did yu ring them or go in to your tax office?
    If yu want to PM me with your pay and tax figures for each year, I can give better informed advice.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport