Holiday's not authorised, but all booked up! :(

Options
Two months ago I put in a holiday request form at work and only yesterday did I get an answer - which was not authorised. The reason for this was that there was someone else on holiday at the same time in my current store. However, when I put in the holiday request I was based at a different store. I confronted the area manager over this and she was still not forthcoming, just repeating the words 'i'm not authorising it'.

Now do you think its acceptable to wait nearly two months for an answer on holiday entitlement? Especially as I'm supposed to be going on the 7th September! All booked up for two weeks away. They have told me that if I go, do not bother coming back to work.

This along with lots of other things they have done (including moving me around 7 different stores in a blatent attempt to force me to leave), does it all amount to constructive dismissal?

Comments

• newsseller12
    Options
    how long is your holiday go sick!
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you part of a union?

You may also want to consider putting in a formal grievance if you are unhappy about the way you've been treated.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • wrutless
    wrutless Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    mrcow wrote: »
    Are you part of a union?

You may also want to consider putting in a formal grievance if you are unhappy about the way you've been treated.

Hi,

I joined a union two days ago. I havent been able to contact them yet as my membership hasn't been fully processed.
  • wrutless
    Options
    how long is your holiday go sick!

2 weeks! :confused:
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry - to answer your question in the first place......no I don't think it's reasonable to wait two months to authorise holiday.

Neither do I think it reasonable to move someone's place of work seven times.

Once you have your union membership confirmed, then speak to them.

In the meantime as well, put a call into ACAS for advice.

Also - the CAB can be very helpful with employment problems.

Do you have access to your company's grevance procedure?

How much did the holiday cost? Is it a foreign holdiay where you have specific flights to catch etc?
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • wrutless
    Options
    Yes i'm travelling alone to America, cost of the flight was £440.

As for their grieviance procedure, I very much doubt they have one.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our holiday request proceedure specifically says something like "the company is not responsible to compensate for holidays booked before request for leave is authorised".

Whilst i don't think that it's reasonable they took two months, i don't think you should have booked without authorisation either, and i think you should have chased this up far sooner, like the week after making the request.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • wrutless
    Options
    liney wrote: »
    like the week after making the request.

I did, on more than one occasion.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    No - it's not constructive dismissal.

It may be grounds for grievance - but apart from an apology I don't think you'll get much else out of it. Your holiday wasn't authorised and your contract probably says that your place of work can change. I certainly wouldn't recommend going sick...

Is there any way you can escalate this - Area Manager? Human Resources? You might have some moral ground here, but contractually you are in the wrong. You would be better trying to resolve this amicably in a way that means you might still be able to take your holiday and keep your job.

Most unions won't represent someone with an outstanding grievance- which this is although it's not yet formal. ACAS and CAB might also be able to advise.

Moral of the story - if the union is there, join before you need it. They could have taken up the case of unauthorised holiday and frequent location changes before it came to a head.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure