job application advice

Options
hi there
i currently work for Social Services admin, I have a degree in Social Sciences, worked for advocacy, done voluntary work (mentoring) and worked in a library - saw a job with my local authority - my present employers and theres a job for a Social Work assistant. I'd love to apply for this job as once I get my finances sorted I want to go back and do the 2 year masters in Social Work - is there anyone who can give me an idea of what sort of things to say in application - i would ask people at work but i'm on annual leave. thanks

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have made this leap!

From SS admin to ASW :D Brilliant. Luckily my employer paid for me to do the OU dipsw on sponsorship too :j

Do you work in C&F, or Ad's. What do you od on daily basis, do you know about referrals, legislation, acts and which parts are most used. Do you ever do any assessment- what skills do you use? What knowledge do you have on local services & schemes? What do you know about anti-opprtessive practice? And alll that jazz!

Should be easy to bridge the gap, really ASW tends to attract those from admin who wanted to make the leap, most of the trainees on my OU course had come from admin background and wanted to develop thier skills.

Good luck!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • rockyroad_2
    Options
    hi
    i work for probation side of things we have to assess calls take minutes of meetings with clients read reports i have picked up a lot of knowledge of how social services works through this job and with situations people i know have been in. only snag is i dont drive and im worried they would refuse me on that ground without even looking at my form , job advert doesnt ask for driving licence. im thinking of giving it a go im rubbish at application forms always lose track of what im saying,thanks
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I can help you with it if you want ! I still have my old application kicking around, some of it wont be 100% relevant as I did C&F but the key principles will be the same.

In my experience make every sentence count. If it doesnt sell your skills, then you dont need it!
    Its likely that your appl will be competency based ,so they want to think of "when" you have proven.Think about your worst days at your jobs, those nightmare days that stretch you to your limit! what were your strengths under pressure and HOW CAN YOU PROVE THEM.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • rockyroad_2
    Options
    well my current job is quite hectic so im going to try and think of different situations which show i would have a good knowledge of social services plus we use the same databases in the admin department as this other job and i think im quite good with working them, i used to work as admin for police as well so i was going to say about multi agencies that sort of thing. i know i could do this job and would love it because even though im 'just' admin i enjoy talking to the clients and finding out about other peoples lives ,thanks for your advice and hopefully i'll be applying over the weekend
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ill be back online on Monday , pm me if theres anyting i can help with- good luck!
    You have stacks of the right sort of experience.. As an aside with respect for the driving, say you are waiting to start your driving lessons when you have a solid job that you wont move from for a while, in order to make that investment ;)
    This Ive come to know...
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant, constructive advice from Lynz! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing