My mother died: Appealing a Parking Fine

Hello everyone

I would really appreciate some advice....

Firstly I have never had a parking fine before and I admit that I did not have a parking ticket but here are the circumstances.

My mother died last week :(:cry::cry: and on Monday (24/08/09) I was in the Belfast city centre to get another copy of the death certificate. Because I was and am still feeling so depressed :cry: and cant think straight I stupidly left home with just a £20 note.

When i arrived at the parking bay I then decided to run quickly to the nearest shop for change.

When I returned, a parking attendant was leaving my car and had given me a ticket because clearly there was no parking ticket displayed.

The parking ticket attendat could see I was very upset and I handed him all my money (£20) in change but as I guessed, he said he couldn't accept it or change anything as details had just been sent to Road Service in Coleraine. :embarasse

According to the notice he was at my car for 6 mins ......I believe I may have been gone10 minutes in total . :angry: i am so angry with myself... at a time like this .

However, he advised me appeal it and maybe send a copy of my mums death certificate.

So do you think I will be successful in appealing this parking fine under these circumstances??

many thanks in advance

Fiona

Ps. I do know I should have had money and paid immediately but I rushed from my home without the necessary change......

What would you do??

Comments

• dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Firstly sorry to hear about your Mum, It is a terrible thing to go through.
    I would definitely appeal even with your circumstances he was a bit quick!

Found this on the main MSE site which may help

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/parking-ticket-appeals
    Gather the paperwork
    Any documentary evidence you can gather is also useful, sometimes this can be tricky to get, but everything that proves your part of the story is helpful. This includes:
    • Proof of mitigating circumstances
      Keep anything relevant. Examples include travel documents if bays were suspended when you were on holiday, a death certificate if you've had a bereavement, a doctor's note if you were ill or the ticket/permit if it fell off. List of further possible mitigating circumstances.
    Dave
  • HOPE
    HOPE Posts: 105 Forumite
    Firstly please accept my sincere sympathy on the loss of your mother. I can appreciate just how you were feeling. Unfortunately traffic wardens do not seem to appreciate the meaning of the word discretion and are very quick to issue tickets. I do not believe that the ticket would have been submitted to Coleraine that quickly.

If I were you I would appeal it and attach a copy of whatever supporting evidence you have. I would urge them to treat your case with the utmost compassion and ask them under the circumstances to reconsider.

You have nothing to lose.
  • KiwiCoop
    KiwiCoop Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would like to think you have more than a valid case, though I'm not sure how sympathetic they are.

I had to borrow my girlfriend's car once to get to a job interview that then ran 10 minutes over time. I had bought a ticket so it wasn't like I was trying to swiz them, but they had no interest in my employment problems or financial hardship and told me to cough up.

So now I'm always on the lookout for wardens standing next to large puddles...
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Of course you must appeal it Fiona, they are not completely heartless. Just a pity this happened at such a trying time for you.
  • sleepymy
    sleepymy Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mum Fiona xxx
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
  • Jaime-V
    Jaime-V Posts: 466 Forumite
    Sorry to hear about your mum Fiona, I know how you are feeling at the moment. Definately appeal it, you can but ask. xo
    Norn Iron club member - 265
  • slippyg
    slippyg Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Give it a shot
  • mojopolo
    mojopolo Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry about your mum - you must be distracted.
    A while back I put money in a parking machine and it didn't print my ticket. I phoned the number on the machine and the person who answered said that although they would refund me (which they did through the post) I would still have to buy another ticket for my car at another machine. When I said I had no change they said that I was allowed 10 mins to go to a shop and get change. Based on that I would suggest they were very quick issuing the ticket after 6 mins. I would definately appeal given your circumstances - they would be heartless to turn you down.
  • nettles77
    nettles77 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Sorry can't help but i just wanted to say, how sorry i am to hear about your Mother. XXX
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A sincere thanks to everyone for your very helpful advice and kind words.

I have sent a copy of my mums death cert and a sick note from my Gp re my current state and a letter expaling the situation.

many thanks again

Fiona

Ps. I will update you when i hear anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure