Sainsburys vouchers used without buying product!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Discount Codes 'n Vouchers
5 replies 1.4K views
furrypigfurrypig Forumite
2.9K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Discount Codes 'n Vouchers
Went into my Sainsburys yesterday and had 6 Sainsburys money off vouchers that had been sent through the post. They were the £1 off if you have spend £10 on a specified product type ones. I wasn't sure if I had spent enough on the bakery dept. and the young girl on the checkout said the till would scan them all regardless of whrther I had purchased any of the items!

I handed them all over and got £7.50 off my shop and didn't even buy most of the stuff!

Hope this helps someone as I had been carrying the vouchers round for a week or so never spending enough to use them!

Would be interested to see if this is the same with the vouchers from the back of the Sainsburys magazine. Does anyone know??

Replies

• DormouseDormouse Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks furrypig, I didn't know that. :) No idea about the Sainsbury's mag vouchers, but do know that just normal manufacturers' vouchers (non-store specific) go through Sainsbury's tills, just like in Tesco/Asda, without buying the product. Whether the SA will allow it is a different matter. :)

I tend to use my Guardian and Telegraph vouchers in Sainsbury's to buy other papers. ;) A paper's a paper as far as they're usually concerned.
  • louise35_2louise35_2 Forumite
    118 Posts
    i work on the checkout at sainsburys and we are only supposed to take the voucher if the item has been purchased. the tills do scan all vouchers whether the item has been purchased or not, but our store has been having a bit of a purge on vouchers .
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • mmlhmmlh Forumite
    248 Posts
    I have used about half of these vouchers at my local Tesco self-scan so far. Thought they were pretty useless when I got them since my local Sainsbury's is a tiny one and never ever been able to spend the amount specified on the vouchers. Many thanks to furrypig for the info, wouldn't have tried at Tesco's otherwise :)
  • oldandhappyoldandhappy Forumite
    966 Posts
    mmlh wrote:
    I have used about half of these vouchers at my local Tesco self-scan so far. Thought they were pretty useless when I got them since my local Sainsbury's is a tiny one and never ever been able to spend the amount specified on the vouchers. Many thanks to furrypig for the info, wouldn't have tried at Tesco's otherwise :)
    ...Well over a year ago whilst at Tescos checkout I was sorting through my coupons that I could use and the checkout lady said she can take the sainsburys vouchers....:j they where supposedly only valid at a named branch also...
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    96.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I used mine at Tesco, with no attempt to buy the right amount of stuff (e..g. you can't even buy TU clothing at Tesco!). However, this was at the second attempt as a previous cashier had said they weren't accepting that type of Sainsburys voucher any more. I thought they should scan though, so just found a willing cashier another day - I would have tried for weeks!

The same thing happened when my local Tesco realised everyone was getting the Sainsburys Magazine coupons in their droves, a cashier told me 'they do scan but we've been told not to take them'. So you just find another Tesco till another day where the person doesn't know/doesn't care (or use self-scan but I can't get the hang of them!!).

Tesco have also accepted the other Sainsbury's ones that offer £6 off a £60 shop (etc) in the past.

***Finally***, if it's your Birthday:j soon Sainsburys might send you a voucher for a free item (box of chocs, toiletries etc) - this year I took it to Tesco, smiled at the cashier and asked if it would scan? It did and got me £5 off my shopping!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals