Girl Friday Business

Options
Hi,

I am going back to university full time next month and want a job that is totally flexible. I was thinking of starting up a Girl Friday PA business, doing all the jobs that people struggle to find the time or don't have the time to do, such as dropping off the dry cleaning, waiting in for a delivery or plumber, arranging quotes for jobs around the home etc, basically anything.

Has anyone ever done this sort of thing before? What would you suggest I charge for my time? Would I bill an hourly rate or a flat fee?

Any suggestions would be welcom.

Thanks

Helen x

Comments

• xnatalie81x
    Options
    Be interested in the replies as i can invoice my partner ;) lol
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    Hi Helen, my aunt does a simular thing, she has been a PA for 35 years prior to retiring and wanted to use her skills and contacts to her benefit. She marketed all the small business owners in the area and does such jobs as shopping for special occassion presents, waits in for deliveries, arranges dinner bookings, takes dry cleaniong, she also does ironing, cleaning etc and on occassion has even cooked a dinner party! She also does the occassional airport run to collect business guests etc.

Last time i spoke with her she was doing really well, a lot of unsocial ie not 9-5 hours but that suits her anyway
  • goggle
    goggle Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    I think there is a real need for this sort of thing BUT if you are going to get clients you need to be VERY realistic about pricing, and place yourself in a location that is easily accessible - like a daily visit to an office block or similar ...
    I would pay £1-2 for someone to drop off/collect dry cleaning for me, or go to the post office - but not £5-7 which is probably what you are expecting. However, it's no use to me if I need to come & find you to give you my dry cleaning first - I'd need you to come to me ...
    If you can offer that "concierge" type service to a large office block I think you'll find some takers, but I'm not sure that running it from your bedroom will work as well as you think it might ...

If you are offering services like "waiting in for the plumber/delivery" do you have references/bonds/indemnity insurance for being in someone's house? let's assume I asked you to wait in for an important delivery at my house & you let my dog out accidentally & it gets killed in the road, or maybe you knocked my great ganny's antique Ming vase off the table. I would expect you to admit 100% liability & have the insurance cover too - would you be expecting me to claim off my household insurance for the vase YOU broke?
  • truly1
    truly1 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Waiting in for a delivery and looking after the dog at the same time. You could ask a higher rate for that, surely?

I think that there is definitely scope for offering a range of services to maybe a group of offices or a block of flats, etc. Offer to pick up dry cleaning on one day a week and deliver it another. It might start off slow but once people see that you are reliable and consistent then they will use your services. Try to negotiate discounts with the local dry cleaners perhaps too.

You could then add in other services, like posting, etc.

I would tend to keep your pick ups / drop offs to certain days so that you can charge a smaller + more realistic fee to each user. This way you could work up to a nice little income.
    1373/10000
  • LE3
    LE3 Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good idea, but I'm not sure how you'd work it in practice? Would people "book" you online? or would you call round to the offices etc at regular intervals ...

Can you give us a couple of examples of "jobs" including things like when you would expect payment for the task etc

Where are you based? I may use your services!!!
  • foxy-roxy
    foxy-roxy Posts: 891 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler
    Options
    At my work we are thinking of getting a 'girl friday' to do things like the post, filing etc, but we would probably go to an agency.
    If you want to taarget businesses you need to either set up a website or visit the offices with a business card, clearly detailing prices and availability and what you will and won't do.
    Most people want a girl friday because they are too busy to do everythig themselves, so you need to make it easier for people to hire you.
    I know i wouldnt be doing with the hassle of chasing you.
    But yeah it is a good idea if you have the time to put the effort in.

Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport