GOLD JEWELLERY - Am I right to sell?

Options
Hello,

I have been searching through my old (mostly broken) jewellery and have found many items I no longer wear and have no use of. Recently I have seen and heard TV and radio adverts for companies offering to exchange unwanted gold for cash.

Will I recieve a good deal from these companies (and if so, which offer the best prices) or is there an alternative?

I haven't seen any threads on this forum concerning this but if there is please direct me to them.

Many thanks

:o

Comments

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gold is at a very high value at the moment so I would imagine its a good time to sell. I got a kit off them but only have silver to get rid of, though it is quite a heavy bag so am going to post it off tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I sold some gold jewellery last summer and got a good price even then. I did go to a jewellers though and got a receipt, then they sent it off for testing. Good price and was glad to do it. Price will be even higher now
    W
  • irishwexford
    Options
    I thought about doing this but would have no idea what a good price should be. Our local paper has an advert for local jewellery shop offering to buy gold so may pluck up courage to go along (or perhaps send O.H)
  • erichamster
    Options
    Having seen loads of these adverts atm, I never knew so many people had these piles of unwanted gold in every drawer and cupboard, I certainly haven't. Anyway the best one seems to be cash4gold as they say if you can find a higher price they'll double it. But I still have no idea how much they actually offer but as its scrap value would still imagine as long as your stuff isn't broken then you would get more in a jewellers?
    Started Comping 25th September 2013.
    October wins :j : Chapstick Goodie Bag, Mixed Case of Kumala Wine, £10 Two Seasons Gift Voucher, Elizabeth Shaw Chocolate bar, Schwarzkopf Colour Mask, Eco Soap Sample Bundle.

November wins: Cheerios 6 pack, MUA Primer
  • nanokitten
    nanokitten Posts: 704 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2009 at 12:47AM
    Options
    get an idea of the gold price (scrap prices at the bottom).
    http://www.cooksongold.com/mp/prices.jsp
    They change twice a day so be aware that what you are quoted wont be the same if you wait even half a day.
    Look at the graphs over a year to get an idea of the trend, the price is pretty stable at the mo, not as high as it was 6 months ago, but still pretty good. Get a few quotes before you make your mind up.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Take a look at this recent thread on selling gold ;) I'll move this thread to the same board, and it may be merged.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • dave-_3-2
    Options
    Cash4gold offer £3.50 per gram of 9ct gold so probably the worst buyers.
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    Trading standards are currently investigating all these gold buyers as a lot are offering just 25% of their true value.
  • ~~Diane~~
    Options
    I sent some jewelry off last week, got my cheque on Saturday and sent it straight back. The cheque was for a fraction of the price quoted on their website. In fact I got more for it a couple of years ago pawning it when I was strapped for cash.

I think I'll be putting it on ebay when I receive it back.
    2011 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £743.32
    2012 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £435.75
    2013 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £300 ~ saved £521
    2014 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £400 ~ saved
  • Poorbuthappy55
    Options
    My local independent jeweller was buying for £4.50 per gram at the end of last week but it does fluctuate.
    Snowball DF Nov 2017
    Jan 2011 MBNA £2634.66 Feb £2608.37 Mar £2561.86
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family