Arriba Wellness - anyone know anything?

Options
I just came accross this on Gumtree - it's a wellness club where you get people to sign up for a twelve week weight loss challenge (at £40 a pop!) and they get to enter a competition for the biggest loser. You basically run the club from a local community centre or what have you. You don't need any health/fitness/background in wellness to do it :o

It sounds like a scam but looks like a really good idea - so

Does anyone know anything about it?
Has anyone been involved with this before?
Is there an initial outlay (I can't see where the outlay would be...)
What risks are involved (apart from no one signing up of course)

Any info much appreciated.
I'll have some cheese please, bob.

Comments

• lippy1966
    lippy1966 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    its herbalife
    Claire
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2010 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Yup its herballife. You start as a distributor, [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].

Put it this way, when the guy phoned me he was like " think 30 people x £39 is like £1160" I thought yeah great but then you need to keep £600 back for "prizes", pay for your own advertising, pay for the venue etc (and this is before you get any money to begin with. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]. The stuff is overpriced as well.

But before any of that you need to attend a training event at £25 a pop, then you need to spend £80 on stuff to distribute!!!!!

Google it and youll see all the bad reveiws, and im sure theres a thread on here somewhere about it.

Up to you but I wouldnt do it!!!

Personally youd be better taking a £50 note and setting fire to it!! Would have the same effect!!
  • mizzbiz
    mizzbiz Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2010 at 3:05PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I really am suprised because although I could find out plenty of none too pleasant info about Herbalife, for the life of me I could not find a bad word against Arriba Wellness clubs!

All I could find, which should probably raise suspicions anyway, is that Google is awash with adverts for these Wellness Team Leaders. That does tell me that it's not quite as it seems, due to the fact that nearly all of the adverts were through Gumtree, Viva Street, etc - I guess that's top levels trying to recruit below to earn a bit more commission. Also, there are a number of different websites realted to it, all with the SAME PAGE!!

The only curiosity was that it's advertised on Devon Council website and a number of others as a good thing :-}

The figures you give are interesting (or rather not in this case) - so as it stands from your example, we're talking three months work for a personal net loss!!!! Bizarre - that's why they push the 'help out your community' them then. Oh they also say on the website that you don't have to sell the Herbalife products - seems like a bit of a joke after the responses above!

I did smell a rat - but for me, the deciding factor is the fact that they hide the start up costs. A reputable company, aside from all the horror above, would be open and honest about their business proposition. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] as they know they won't get half as much interest with the full details. Very sad.

If anyone has any pointers to any revews/experiences of this 'system', I would be grateful to hear them.
    I'll have some cheese please, bob.
  • Mandypops_2
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late to reply to this thread, but I just wanted to tell you all about 'Arriba Wellness Clubs' or 'Community Weight Loss Groups', and I'd also be interested if anyone can tell me the legal implications of running a 'non-profit' group, as I'm sure many aspects of these groups cannot be legal.

As a dieter, I've now attended a few of these groups, and yes, it is Herbalife. I didn't know this when I attended the first group as it was just a leaflet that came through my door headed 'Arriba Community Weight Loss group'... 'non-profit'... '£300 first prize', etc. Sounded all very nice and friendly and no pressure to buy Weight Watchers or Slimming World products, etc.

The first week, Herbalife wasn't mentioned, but from the second week onwards, we were lectured on nutrition and how Herbalife products can help us get that nutrition. It irritated me, but I couldn't leave because I had paid my £39 and not asked for a refund within 48 hours(!), so I used my annoyance to drive me, and I lost loads of weight and won first prize... WITHOUT USING HERBALIFE!

This group wasn't continued as they couldn't get enough people to cover the costs, but I found another group locally. The pressure to buy Herbalife products in this second group was MASSIVE! If you were losing weight without Herbalife, you were losing "the wrong kind of weight"! Once again, I dieted hard, but each week that I won the weekly prize I was criticised for losing too much, or my weight loss was explained away... but when a Herbalife user won, they were congratulated! Again, after the 12 weeks, I won first prize... and was begrudgingly given the money!

I've attempted to join other groups since then, but they have either never taken off, or have folded within a few weeks because of too few people.

I pursued these groups as the motivation to win the money has worked for me... but I think they are 'low' and 'scummy'. We have unwittingly become sitting-ducks to be lectured, for an hour every week, on how great Herbalife products are. I have seen people who can ill afford it, spend money on 'miracle' products which are eventually left on the shelf to rot. I myself, have been under constant critisism, even though I've done better than everyone else.

1: These groups should not hide under the name of 'Arriba' or 'Community Weight Loss Group'. They ARE Herbalife, and should be advertised as such (Weight Watchers and Slimming World don't hide under a 'nom-de-plume'!). If anyone set up a genuine 'non-profit community weight loss group', people would now expect it to be Herbalife.

2: These groups are 'non-profit'... but this is not controlled. It is up to those running it to decide how much they want to take for petrol, lighting/heating, room hire (even if the group is run in their own home or business premises), or other 'expenses'. These 'expenses' are not revealed or explained to us - Is this legal?

3: As above, these groups are 'non-profit', but the weekly prizes are Herbalife products, and there are regular samples of Herbalife products given out. These are all funded by the £39 joining fee, so although technically you can call it 'non-profit', Herbalife ARE directly profiting from it.

4: The '£300 first prize, £200 second, £100 third' is based on 30 people. The groups I've been in have been 10 people at the most, and the prizes have only been decided and announced by the penultimate week. In one group, it was decided that first prize would be £180, and there wouldn't be a second or third prize. Is this really fair? Is it even legal?

I could go on and on with my complaints about these groups, but, basically, they won't be around for long. Even if you're a successful Herbalife distributor, you may get one or two short-term customers, but you will have lost money and time by the end of the 12 weeks. Even if you get a good attendance the first week, watch them leave in their droves when they find out it's Herbalife - Believe me, I've seen it happen every time!

IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY, DO SOMETHING ELSE!!!
  • Hi Everyone,

First and most importantly, I am a Herbalife Distributor (10 years) and an Arriba! Wellness Club Leader. I'm not posting to defend Herbalife or Arriba! just to clear up some of the misunderstandings.

It is of course true that there is a link between Arriba! Wellness Clubs and Herbalife, the clubs were created by and run by Herbalife Distributors. However you must understand the primary reason behind Herbalife Distributors creating the clubs, it is to reach and help more people than they could have through traditional business means (most of you will be familiar with Herbalife flyers, posters, adverts etc). Herbalife Distributors are (in the main) well trained and educated on helping people lose weight safely. In the past they have only been able to share this knowledge and support with people who purchased products, limited market. Through the clubs they share their knowledge with anyone who wants to attend. Of course they introduce the products, share the benefits and allow people to purchase if they wish but there is no requirement to buy anything from the clubs. As Mandypops explains, she never used the products, but did lose weight and won money, great news and congratulations Manypops. So she had to sit through some Herbalife blurb, big deal, it's the result that is important here and the manner of the result and Mandypops got a result, great.

Arriba! Wellness clubs and the Herbalife Distributors who run them goal is to educate people into losing weight in a safe and manner, some will choose to use Herbalife products (and the Distributor makes profit on this, please don;t be-grudge us making a living) some will not (no probelm what so ever), in my club about 70% did but all got great results and came back week after week, month after month loving the club, the friends they had made and the results they were getting.

Arriba! / Herbalife is a business opportunity and with all business opportunities there are costs to getting started. In reality you need around £300 to get started, compare this to most opportunities and you will find it's incredibly reasonable.

As for them starting and not being succesful. Of course the only variable here is the desire of the club leader to make it work. Some will work some won't it's the same for all Weight Loss Classes if you do your research.

Anyway, to you all, good luck in finding the right opportunity for you and Mizzbiz why not find your local Arriba! leader and go along and see their class, see for yourself what happens and if it's something you would like to do. Seeing is much better than reading others opinion, including mine :-)

Good luck
  • Mandypops_2
    Options
    Ok 'Wellness Coach UK', my first BIG question... Why do you hide behind the (currently) unknown name 'Arriba'? Why is it not a 'Herbalife Wellness Club'? I would have absolutely no objection to these groups if it was made clear from the start that they are Herbalife... but I also would not have joined. As I said in my above post, Weight Watchers and Slimming World don't have to hide behind a pseudonym.

And yes, it did 'work' for me, but it was my anger at having been 'tricked' into joining this group that drove me. I was not going to abandon my £39... I wanted it back, so I fought for it. I would much rather have had friendly, unbiased support and UNBIASED nutritional advice. As well as not buying the products, I also ignored their (often ridiculous) 'lectures'.

<quote>So she had to sit through some Herbalife blurb, big deal, it's the result that is important here and the manner of the result and Mandypops got a result, great.</quote>

'Big deal'??? If you wish to sound like a friendly, supportive weight loss coach, I suggest you a think a little more about the words you use. The 'big deal' was a boring, hour long lecture each week on how the only way you'll ever lose weight is by Herbalife products. As I've said above, I was told every week that I was doing it wrong, that I will gain weight next week, not keep it up, that I'm losing 'muscle' not fat, etc, etc. I don't know if you've ever tried to lose weight before, but sometimes I went home feeling I wanted to cry... even though I had the weeks prize in my bag! Of course, Herbalife users were doing it right EVERY week, even if they'd gained weight ("You've gained muscle, my dear!").

In your defence, one thing I should say is that it does depend on the group leaders a little. The first group I went to applauded my weight loss, and generally forgot to mention Herbalife products. Although they were nice people, they sold NO products and later admitted they'd run the group at a loss and couldn't do it again. The second group I went to was run by people higher up in the Herbalife pyramid - They encouraged us to sell, as well as buy. Their lectures were very 'American', with music, testimonials, etc. And this is where I was 'battered' every week for "not doing it properly". Since then, having joined a few groups (which have not lasted more that 2-3 weeks), I've realised that it does vary depending on the person running it, but they all want to sell you products.

<quote>As for them starting and not being succesful. Of course the only variable here is the desire of the club leader to make it work. Some will work some won't it's the same for all Weight Loss Classes if you do your research.</quote>

The first group was the most successful one I've been too, despite the couple not being very good businesspeople (and of course, running it at a loss). The second group was run by people whose full-time job is Herbalife (they run groups covering the whole county). They advertised the sh*t out of these groups... and still only had 3 or 4 people interested. Although I'd like to join another of these groups (for ulterior motives!), I cannot find one that has actually had enough interest to run.

I would be interested to hear your comments on some of the other matters in my previous post, WellnessCoachUK. For instance, why is there no guarantee on prizes (it would be simple enough to say X% goes to first prize, etc)?

Once again, I stress that I would have no objection to a 'Herbalife Wellness Club', but I think you and I both know why that wouldn't work!
  • bluemoonchris
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Herbalife distributor, firstly i'm not part of the Arriba clubs lot.
    Secondly I can totally understand what you mean when you say you were lectured about the products etc, I've sat in a weight loss challenge as part of my training, its incredibly boring. I have changed how I run my classes, I make sure they last 30 mins and we have a laugh.

As for when you were basically told you were dieting wrong I do apologise for that on behalf of this company. Some distributors are idiots.

If you were losing the weight then brilliant and if you were doing it safely then well done you.

The idea for the classes is to re-educate people into eating properly and not PUSH the products on people. Obviously we would love every challenger to be on the products because after all it is a business but if they don't wanna go on the products then thats fine they shouldn't be treated differently or not welcomed.

I don't know what other distributors are like but I want a good reputation, not everyone wants these products but some people do so I won't push them, people get my support either way..

The challenges are there to help the community not push the products.

I agree I think Arriba shouldn't hide who they are. Bit stupid that is.

Thanks
  • Marc_Pitman
    Options
    I too am a Herbalife Distributor (8 yrs now) and I also run a few Arriba! wellness clubs.
    Herbalife certainly needs no defence - the fact that it is THE number 1 company in health & nutrition and has been around for 30 years and is hugely successful speaks for itself.
    Before people criticise anything they ought to get the FACTS first.
    I could put you in touch with dozens of people who have had fantastic results with both the Herbalife products... did you know by the way that Herbalife are the official nutrition company for LA Galaxy? Yes that's right David Beckham has the Herbalife logo right across his football shirt as do many well known profesional athletes.
    The Arriba! clubs and the 'Weight Loss Challenges' that are run in the clubs are a massive success.
    So, if people are looking for an established, ethical and honest business for themselves they should do proper research before posting rumours and negative gossip.
  • Marc_Pitman
    Options
    Sounds like Mandypops attended quite a few groups which is a little surprising for someone who has so many negative things to say about Herbalife and Arriba!?
  • Mandypops_2
    Options
    I don't visit this website very much, but just stumbled across the above replies while looking for info on another subject and felt I should reply!

Firstly, 'bluemoonchris', thanks for your message. If all the people I've met running these groups were like you, I'm sure they'd do a lot better.

On the other hand, 'Marc Pitman', you are typical of a few of the Herbalife sellers I've known:

<Sounds like Mandypops attended quite a few groups which is a little surprising for someone who has so many negative things to say about Herbalife and Arriba!?>

I thought I'd made it clear why I pursued the groups? The annoyance drove me, and who doesn't want to win money? Also, I actually said nothing negative about Herbalife itself - Apart from the prizes/freebies, I never used it, so can't speak for it's effectiveness.

<Before people criticise anything they ought to get the FACTS first.>

<So, if people are looking for an established, ethical and honest business for themselves they should do proper research before posting rumours and negative gossip.>

I take it this is directed at me. If you read my original post again, you'll see that I was giving my experiences of these groups. I don't see how 'FACTS' should come into this, neither was it 'rumours' or 'gossip'. It was simply my experiences.

<I could put you in touch with dozens of people who have had fantastic results with both the Herbalife products.>

Yes, I'm sure you could, but for every dozen, I bet I could put you in touch with a hundred who have had fantastic results on Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Slim Fast, or just plain old sensible eating.

<did you know by the way that Herbalife are the official nutrition company for LA Galaxy? Yes that's right David Beckham has the Herbalife logo right across his football shirt as do many well known profesional athletes.>

Yes, I do know that, and I also know that sponsorships are simply a matter of paying someone to display your logo. It doesn't make that product any better, and it most certainly doesn't mean that the product is used by the person displaying it.

<The Arriba! clubs and the 'Weight Loss Challenges' that are run in the clubs are a massive success.>

That's strange, I wonder why nobody joined them then?

<it is THE number 1 company in health & nutrition>

Ok, now what does that actually MEAN? The 'number 1 company'? It doesn't actually 'mean' anything, does it?!? Now who's leaving out the 'FACTS'!!!

As I said earlier, I actually didn't want to say anything negative about Herbalife itself, only the way I felt tricked into joining a Herbalife group under a different name. However, as Marc insists I DO have negative things to say about Herbalife, and he's obviously keen on facts, here are some for you: (YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR THIS, CHECK FOR YOURSELF!) Having lost lots of weight but then reaching a sticking point, I fancied a change, so I started the 'Cambridge Diet'. I compared a CD shake pack to an unused 'prize' Herbalife shake pack. Nutritionally, calorie for calorie, shake for shake, CD FAR outweighs Herbalife on EVERY NUTRIENT. A freind of mine was following the Herbalife diet and purchased the protein powder - She was annoyed when she later compared it to Holland and Barratt protein and found it to be exactly the same, but a fraction of the price. As I've said, DON'T take my word for this, before deciding to sell/use these products, get hold of a Herbalife shake packet and compare it to CD, Holland and Barratt, and any other diet shakes you can find, then make up your own mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure