Adsense Advice

Options
Hi All,

I have been trying to monetise my site with adsense for a few months now and still not getting any results. I get roughly 70-80 hits to my site per day which i track with google analytics. But im getting zero or close to zero revenue with adsense. I get about 20-30 clicks on my adsense daily but very little in terms of revenue. What is going wrong here? Do users have to take up the services of the adsense ads? why is there so little revenue from 20-30 odd clicks?

I have tried various things, i started by putting adsense in the right and left columns which didnt work at all. I have tried banner ads which were not great. Then i started putting an ad block unit at the end of every post which did start to generate a bit of money however its very little - less than £1 a day sometimes its £0. I have also changed the font, colour of the ad unit to be similar to my site.

Im not sure whats going wrong here, my content is good as im getting decent traffic. I have tried PPC with targeted keywords and have some
registered users. The type of traffic im sending to my site is the targeted audience. The keywords that i've used in PPC are very relevant and specific.

Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated

Thanks

SB

Comments

• santiagobravo
    Options
    anyone have any advice/ tips?
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My advice would be to worry less about google adsense and the analytics and concentrate more on the content of your website. I do agree that the banner ads are not that good. I use 460x68 with rounded corners, dark blue outline and placed at bottom of the pages where the articles finish. I've found that people in my niche market dont necessarily want to click adverts that are to do with that niche.

When you say "at the end of every post", are you running a forum ? Sometimes less can be more if stragetically placed. Dont forget the rules of only 3 adsense units and 3 link units per page.
  • SunnySusie
    SunnySusie Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The "trick" to making money with adsense is to target the site at people searching for a specific answer that adsense will supply. You want people who are looking for answers (how to do something, where to buy something, etc) to come from Google to your site and then onto somewhere else. Obviously if your site answers the question then they will probably stop there!

Essentially what you are doing is selling traffic to other sites, so you need to get good quality traffic and you need to be better at getting it than the sites you are selling it to. As said above, one way to do this is to create awesome targeted content.

If I am looking to buy a new TV I might want to understand what HD means for example. So you create a post, or entire site based around the keyword "What is HD?". People asking this question are probably looking to buy a new telly.

So I would ask you, what is your site about, how are your visitors arriving at your site? Google analytics should answer this. If making an "adsense trap" I would also make sure you have the biggest adsense unit slap bang at the top of your content area. Follow Google's own tips on positioning. It's prob not worth stuffing to many units in as the CPC decreases as you go down the page.
  • santiagobravo
    Options
    Thanks Susie and cally

ive tried a few things with adsense. My site is not a forum, its more a site of articles. Im testing an adsense unit at the bottom of each article and its performing better than my other placements (but not by very much).

Im also testing amazon widgets too
  • gary2007
    gary2007 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hi santiagobravo,

Are you using Adsense links or just the usual Adsense text and image ads?

If you choose adsense links for contents then the visitors to your site may click on the linked ad, then get a page that displays a list of sponsored links, which can often put people off and will most often click the back button, although not sure if this would be classed as a click at this stage. I think its better to use the normal adsense content and like some other people have suggested concentrate on using some stronger keywords in your content. I suspect that if your adds are placed on the same section in the code as the main content section then the google ads will be related to what you visitors came to your site in the first place.

Its about experimenting with the ad placement, as well as making the content keyword rich. Try putting stronger keywords in the Header tags of the page/post.

I would also track where your visitors are coming to your site/page/post from and from which keywords. If the majority are coming to this post, are those visitors keywords similar to those ads displayed?

Be good to hear how you get on

Cheers
    Gary
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've found that placement is key. Keep the ads at the bottom, if they're getting clicks. Add another ad unit midway through the article, or down the side also. The most important thing you can do is drive more hits to your site with good content. :)
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One thing I did notice with Adsense was that I got more impressions listed when I deleted the side unit of Adsense and just kept the bottom unit
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You'd need to repeat that experiment for it to be meaningful :)
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family