Help selling jewelry

Options
My mother has a lot of jewelry that she no longer wears and I've suggested that we might see how much we'd get if we were to sell it. She thinks that's a good idea, but I'm really at a loss for where to go and how to go about it!

Any tips would be appreciated - some of it would probably be just "scrap" but other pieces might well be of a style that would re-sell. I'm thinking in terms of selling to a jeweller rather than eBay, but will take all suggestions into consideration.

Comments

• aycor
    aycor Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would be worth checking for makers marks as well as if any of it is gold or silver, even old clasps can be gold and chains silver. Also scandinavian items are collectable. A search for any makers on ebay good luck
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    may i suggest that you sort the jewellery into real gold real silver etc. then the costume jewellery. some costume jewellery is worth quite good money there are collectors out there for some designers who will pay more than if it was real gold! look carefully at the back to see if there designer name. cash converters pay market prices for real gold not sure about silver you would have to look it up. it is worth having a jeweller look at peices you suspect have real gemstones - but they often dont have a clue as to market values - had experience of this when a local jeweller valued my aunts canary diamond ring! every site we looked at same size stone and colour was valued at THREE times as much!!! and that wasnt retail price btw it was single stone price wholesale never mind the 18 carat gold it was set in!
    hope this was helpful and good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport