how is time and a half overtime calculated?

Options
I thought it was salary/52weeks/weekly working hours X 1.5 then X overtime hours? My pay turned out to be about £150 less than i had worked out. Anyone know how it is calculated?

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    That's how I'd calculate it too. it would be taxed though. Is that where the missing £150 has gone?
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • bettersoon
    Options
    nah its less even before tax. I calculated about £456 but got £307 before tax
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    did the hours you had calculated for and the overtime hours shown on the wage slip match?
  • Treadway1
    Treadway1 Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could it be that youve only been paid up until a specified OT period and what you havent been paid this month will come in next months paypacket. I get paid on the 20th of the month and OT has to be submitted by the 16th of one month, for it to show in the following months pay. i.e. OT up until 16th August will be paid on 20th September, anything between 16 August and 16th September will be paid on 20th October and so on.
  • bettersoon
    Options
    yeah it did.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you work shifts or nights meaning you get a shift allowance or shift premium?

Most companies will pay you time and half of your basic, not time and a half of your rate including a shift allowance.

ie If you get £7.00ph including shift allowance, and your basic pay is £5.73ph, when on double time you would be on £11.46ph not £14.00ph.

That could make a substantial difference.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you include rest breaks / lunch hours but they didnt?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • bettersoon
    Options
    I work 37.5 hours a week and hourly rate is calculated by salary divided by 250 days then divided by 7.5 hours. I didnt know they only pay time and half on second day of overtime... and its a fixed half daily rate no matter how many hours i do! I worked the weekend, paid normal rate for the saturday (8 hours) and normal rate on sunday (9.5 hours) plus half day rate (about 4 hours).
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bettersoon wrote: »
    I work 37.5 hours a week and hourly rate is calculated by salary divided by 250 days then divided by 7.5 hours. I didnt know they only pay time and half on second day of overtime... and its a fixed half daily rate no matter how many hours i do! I worked the weekend, paid normal rate for the saturday (8 hours) and normal rate on sunday (9.5 hours) plus half day rate (about 4 hours).

Is this explained in your employment contract?
    I've never seen such a system. Seems a bit ridiculous and definitely like it's only worked out in the favour of the employer himself..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure