My O/H credit file

Options
hi,
my husband has exactly the same name as his father, who has bad credit.
Were starting to think that is the reason my o/h cant get any credit.

We paid for the online credit report, and it had alot of things listed that arent anything to do with o/h and actually belong to his father.

ive heard about notices of corrections, but do they actually do anything?
coz surely he shouldnt suffer due to his fathers bad credit?
Helen
xx
Mother of Twins - Please excuse my "double" baby brain!

Comments

• Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would suggest you need to contact the credit agency and get yourself dis-associated with your OH's father (if that is showing on the report).

Also, any credit you've applied for surely has your OH's date of birth? Use this as the reason that you believe the information is not about your OH, but his father and therefore should be removed.

A notice of correction can be applied until the necessary investigation has been done by the credit agency with the lender, once verified the record can be removed. I've had this done with no ill effects.

I'm sure they'll be some other words of advice along soon!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Peony
    Peony Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Snap! A few years ago my husband needed a loan and found it really hard to get one, which seemed a bit strange as he had a well managed credit card and a previous loan that he had always paid on time. We got credit records from both Equifax and Experian, which showed his father's address because he had lived there within the last 5/7 years (can't remember what the cut off point is).

Him and his dad have the same first name and surname and the same middle initial. Despite the fact that you always have to give your date of birth on credit applications, this isn't shown on the file, so lenders can't tell who is who. Experiean were fairly helpful - we filled in the notice of disassociation (which you had to get the other person to sign!) and they took off the entries that related to his dad. Basically, at any of the addresses on your file they show everyone's credit histories becasue they assume your finances are linked. As long as you can prove that they aren't (eg you have no joint accounts etc) then you can disassociate yourself. We did this for his whole family, who I love, but they aint moneysavingexperts!

Equifax were a pain in the a*se. They started off by telling us that there was no way of verifying which ntries related to him and which related to his dad. We spent a lot of time arguing with them and they eventually agreed to put a note on the file explaning the situaton. I can't remember if we got them to take off the entries in the end, I think we may have given up eventually because it was coming up to the point where his dad's address wouldn't be listed and he had managed to get a loan, presumaly from the lender who used Experian!

It was an absolute nightmare though and you feel completely powerless when they sy it is not possible to do something when it quite obviosuly is. had we needed to take it further I would probably have written you some of the consumer finance champions in the 'money pages' of the weeknd papers.

My advice would be to check any other credit files and tray and get them all corrected. I don't know who the main players are now. Also, if you are not living with his dad, make sure no old account statements get sent there - the sooner you have a 'clean address' the better. After 5 or 7 years they will stop looking at his previous address anyway, but that's a long time to wait. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure