🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Fostering

Options
What are people experiences of being a foster parent? Is there a big demand? What tests do you have to pass to qualify? How many kids will you be looking after and for how long? Are the wages pretty standard across the UK or does it differ from county to county? Can you still keep on a full time job? Could you still have a full time job if it was "from home"?

Comments

• uncommonadvice
    Options
    I am interested to hear all opinions
  • MUMMYTO2BOYS
    Options
    I don't think this should be in 'up your income'

If you choose to foster the financial implications should be fairly low down on the list of pros and cons
  • Raquela
    Raquela Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    yes, I would hope that those fostering aren't doing it for any financial gain (and i would imagine there isn't any), but because they want to care for kids who don't have anyone else.
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    What are people experiences of being a foster parent? Is there a big demand? What tests do you have to pass to qualify? How many kids will you be looking after and for how long? Are the wages pretty standard across the UK or does it differ from county to county? Can you still keep on a full time job? Could you still have a full time job if it was "from home"?

Since one o'clock this morning you have posted threads asking about Zopa, a "from home" off-licence, free SIA qualifications, setting up a charity, the cheapest guaranteed-pass LGV courses, discussing entrepreneurial ideas, second-hand car sales, Amazon sales, small businesses and now fostering...

This suggests to me that you are simply interested in money-making, regardless of source. Wanting to make money is not a problem; wanting to benefit from children/adolescents in need of care is, quite frankly, distasteful. I sincerely hope you never get approved to foster!
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raquela wrote: »
    yes, I would hope that those fostering aren't doing it for any financial gain (and i would imagine there isn't any), but because they want to care for kids who don't have anyone else.

Sadly these days many do foster for the money as it is advertised as a 'job' with a high income by many agencies.

My parents have fostered for about 17 years, they started when my brother left home as they didn't like the house being quiet. It certainly has many ups and downs.

It is sad that people no longer apply for the right reasons but to gain monetary rewards.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its pretty sad that somebody can see this as a money making oppotunity, if you want to do it for the right reasons then there is nothing wrong but to just do it for the money is not right
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    unfortunalty there are peole out there who foster for the money - my in laws were a prime example of that , thankfully though these are the fostercarers that don't do it for long - its not easy money by any means.
    I am journeying to a debt-free life.
    Our estimated debt-free date is January 2040. I'm on a mission to bring that date closer!
    16/02/23 debts - £9556.38
    emergency fund - £00.00
    debt-free diary - Time to Face the music and deal with this debt once and for all
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I disagree, why would you give up many hours of time and open your home to damaged children who need the very best care and time for nothing. You have endless reviews, social work visits as well as restrictions on your freedom and expectations on how you care for these children far above what you would do for your own. You also have to keep up training as well as up to date legislation etc.

Many agencies do not allow you to work whilst fostering and pay an amount to reflect that.
    Fostering is a profession and should be renumerated as such, it is simply professional work from home and not suited to everyone. There is a long assessment which can be quite intrusive before you get approved, far
    more vigourous than that of any other job selection process I know of.
    However I don't thin that it should be entered just for the money, or that the OP is going to be the best candidate!
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that foster cares should get something yes as it will be hard and expensive to them, but I do not think it should be the prime motivation
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sharpe106 wrote: »
    I think that foster cares should get something yes as it will be hard and expensive to them, but I do not think it should be the prime motivation

Which is what I said in the post above.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport