Holidays and bankrupt

Options
I am astonished by amount of people who have asked how i can afford a holiday if bankrupt..

Seem so many people are so naive about bankruptcy i simply tell that i have no debts and can save now

Comments

• philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am astonished by amount of people who have asked how i can afford a holiday if bankrupt..

Seem so many people are so naive about bankruptcy i simply tell that i have no debts and can save now

...you've not been posting in discussion time have you? :eek::p:rotfl:
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Holes_in_my_pocket
    Options
    No but posted in between searching for next holiday
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My parents still think bankruptcy lasts for life and means you can't have children or shop in Waitrose. :confused:
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • eklynne
    eklynne Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Options
    I've saved over £250 since my BR in December simply by being careful and only buying what I need.
    I will admit however that I only share this info on here as those in the know about my BR would no doubt be up in arms about this.
    My plan is to take myself and my daughter on holiday next summer, a way for me to kind of make up for the fact that she's had very little treats for so long.
    BRs need holidays too you know, be proud of your new found control over your money, that is, after all, what BR is intended to do for people :)
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • BDB1
    BDB1 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately bankruptcy makes people seem very uncomfortable.

At the minute we are trying to save some money so we can go to my brothers wedding in turkey, when we tell people about this they seem to get very annoyed/uncomfortable and say things like "well i wish we could afford to go on holiday but we cant because we have too many bills/commitments and you dont have those do you" ...well yes we do actually, we still pay rent and have all the bills associated with living, we can just manage them now thats all.

Its quite annoying and yet perfectly understandable at the same time, i can certainly see why they may get annoyed, because i was also on that side of the fence before BR too.
    :grouphug: hehe it always makes me chuckle
  • Discharged
    Options
    BDB1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately bankruptcy makes people seem very uncomfortable.

At the minute we are trying to save some money so we can go to my brothers wedding in turkey, when we tell people about this they seem to get very annoyed/uncomfortable and say things like "well i wish we could afford to go on holiday but we cant because we have too many bills/commitments and you dont have those do you" ...well yes we do actually, we still pay rent and have all the bills associated with living, we can just manage them now thats all.

Its quite annoying and yet perfectly understandable at the same time, i can certainly see why they may get annoyed, because i was also on that side of the fence before BR too.

I'm in a similar position, I was BR'd early 07 discharged in 08, got a job straight away, lasted 6 months, got made redundant and got new jog, 6 months in and same again and then spent Sept 08 - April 09 on dole. Got new job, well paid and with a nice new 5 series BMW, bumped into one of my ex clients who hit the roof and made quite a scene at B&Q as soon as he saw the motor.

Some people forget that BR means you 'can't meet your existing commitments' and not means 'you're skint forever', it's great to be debt free but I really now want a mortgage and have no hope at all, that is the price I'm paying but people forget that.
  • sallyanne3
    Options
    :money:I find it better as all the debts are written off and your accounts are free to manage bills and rent etc , only use a debit card and use mainly cash and cook ax
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi sallyanne and discharged - welcome.

Discharged - there is no reason you can't get a mortgage in the future.

:j :j

• estelle123
    estelle123 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    Discharged,well done on getting a new job,your ex client was obviously jealous of the new job and car.My attutide towards these people is f*** them,they have no idea what we go through before we decide to go BR.
    By the way i am looking for a job,can i have the same one as you.LOL
    once again well done
  • iquit
    iquit Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well well well - here are the confessions of a delinquent BR. I'm just back from my trip to Switzerland where I'd gone to retrieve the gold bullion I'd stashed away - damn the swiss for changing the rules. I'm off to Monaco on my yatch to see if I can find a mattress to hide it under. As for you discharged why did you get a BMW, why not a Porsche/Lamborghini/Maserati - go wild, after all you have no debt. As for all reading this post and choking on their own indignation, I'm being sarcastic - honest!!
    2019 MFW No. 74 £13700/£30000 (45.66%)
    12k in 2018 No. 98 £6274.19/£18000 (34.85%)

BTL (start) £97440.00 (current) £68000.00
    Residential (start) £275000.00 (current) £268000.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family