Switching Gas & Elec suppliers, bad move?

Options
I recenlty switched my electric and gas suppliers from British Gas to SWEB energy, as SWEB were much cheaper. However, I got my final bills from british gas, £102 for Gas and £60 for electric! i did this to save money, not I have to pay £162 out in a oner! I should of just kept with British Gas, was I stupid?:mad:

Debt Free Date - 2016. :D

All offers accepted through Payplan!

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check with them wether they are estimates or physically final readings.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • annmatkat
    annmatkat Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    If they were final readings, it is money you would have had to pay them anyway. It's just a shame to have to pay it all in one go!
    From now on, your bills should be cheaper. Also, if you get an estimated bill in future, it is worth phoning up with your readings, so that they will amend it. This way you will be able to see if your payments are covering what you are using and you can adjust your payments if necessary. This would stop large final bills building up.
    Also, if energy prices are going to keep going up, you want to pay the rate when you use it, not the (higher) rate later on when they do a reading and find they have been underestimating what you use.
    HTH
    annmatkat
  • sleepy
    sleepy Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    If you ring british gas they will let you make an arrangement to break the final bill into a couple of installments to make it easier for you to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure