Ikea Beds - Recommendations?

Options
Hey guys. I'm looking to get a new bed from Ikea and wondered if you had any of the beds I'm looking at getting and feel free to give some input!

The Malm seems to be a staple bed and I've heard MOSTLY positive reviews about it, but has anyone got/used the;

Aneboda?
Engan?
Heimdal?

Thanks.

And also have you used any of the slatted bed bases?
The ones where you buy '2 lots' to place on either side of the mid-beam.

Please don't get this topic locked. =p

Comments

• markandkate
    Options
    HI we have had an Ikea bed for over 15 years and it is very good. It has a pine frame and we have just bought a new mattress although there was probably some life left in the old one. We have been very pleased with the bed BUT you should be aware that Ikea beds are are a different size to standard UK beds so you will only ever be able to buy matresses and fitted sheets from Ikea, mattress protectors too. This is not necessarily a problem but something to bear in mind
  • markandkate
    Options
    just read the lst part of your post and our bed has slats and we bought our bed in 1981
  • ella_ella_ella
    Options
    We have the Malm bed and I love it apart from how low it is. Maybe its because im getting older but I no longer like the lowness of it!

On the plus side they are really good value, look really modern and although they are just cheap chip board last really well....mine is about 4 years old, has moved 3 times and still looks great.

We have all the matching draws and they are great, really deep and really sturdy. As for the slats we bought the cheapest ones (£9 ish each) and they do the job fine.

Remember that Ikea mattress's are slightly larger than normal ones (Ikea King is 160cm, UK is 150cm) and as such we bought a normal Silentnight King size mattress for it so we wernt limited with sheets :)
    :heart: I love my gorgeous little girl :heart:
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought my bed in 2004 -it was the cheapest one they had, about the same size as the Malm (which was the one I really wanted but could not afford).The frame was £75, a double in size and its still going strong- bit creaky but only because I can't be bothered to tighten the screws on the bed- nothing is broken.

I have an Ikea mattress too. I wish I had chosen a different firmer one as its too soft for me- tip is to lie on the bed and easily be able to lie your hand below the lower curve on your back and the mattress- your hand should not feel squished. If it does squash your hand doing that, get a firmer mattress.

I have to say, I have never had any issues with mattress covers- they all work fine so not sure if the sizing issue is so major with a double sized. If you are worried though, just stock up on plain white sheets to cover the mattress from Ikea, they will go with any set you chose to buy. Then get a duvet from another store and you wont have any problems.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    There are some other threads on here about Ikea beds, and the reviews are very mixed, but it may be worth searching.

Their mattresses aren't up to much, but it is possible to get decent mattresses in Ikea (continental) sizes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure