PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

tomato chutney help

2»

Comments

• joisey
    joisey Posts: 47 Forumite
    thanks, ill book mark that one for the end of the season when im clearing the plants out and I have green toms left

these ones are red :)
    Mortgage Start - 93,820.00
    Mortgage Now 87,600
    Current House Value - I daren't know!!

Savings [strike] 350 [/strike]£3000 My mbna £60 :T
    DF mbna £40 :T Tesco CC £250cr :A
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,105 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Not really any need to bother with ready spiced pickling vinegar. I've made tomato chutney this morning as the first job on my list was go & pick the ripe tomatoes and there were over 10lbs, which was a bit of a shock! I just use ordinary white wine vinegar & it's fine as chutney recipes all have plenty of spices in anyway. I make loads of chutney this time of year and keep trotting back to Aldi for more ww vinegar as it's about 85p a bottle....a fraction of what I was paying before I tried Aldi on the off chance. With the rest of the tomatoes, I made Carluccio's tomato pasta sauce and froze it in batches. It's useful as a base for things like lasagne but just as nice on it's own tossed through pasta with a bit of parmesan. No water in it...just the tomatoes cooked with onion, garlic, basil & olive oil and it just tastes so fresh if it's made with really ripe tomatoes.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • joisey
    edited 17 August 2009 at 8:33PM
    I have spiced the vinegar now as kitchen garden recipe doesnt seem to have many spices in!

the vinegar smells nice lol..

now to chop, mince or leave whole???

hmmmm the kitchen garden recipe says to peel the toms???

I am using cherry toms!!
    help!!
    Mortgage Now 87,600

• helyg
    helyg Posts: 454 Forumite
    I peel tomatoes to make chutney, but I suppose it all depends on whether the skins in it would bother you.
  • joisey
    im not going to be eating it :D
    Mortgage Now 87,600

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories