Graduate/Normal jobs abroad

Options
I'm considering emmigrating once I've graduated from uni next year however don't know how to go about finding jobs. I've heard good things about Dubai but I'm open minded, as long as its got better prospects than Britain lol. I'll have a degree in Business so I'm pretty open minded but wondered if anyone has any stories to tell or any advice?

Thanks alot

Comments

456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dubai has always been popular because of the weather and low/no taxes. Plus some employers pay your airline fees etc. But debt is a criminal offence.

A lot of Brits who have gone over have come back now. I read some of them had car loans, drove their cars to the airport left the keys in them and left the country

I think you have a better chance of getting a good job abroad if you pick up some experience beforehand in the uk

Teaching english in other countries seems popular too
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with 456789, chances of getting a job abroad without relevant experience are low. I would also say that whilst Dubai can be a very good life, it is very different to home. Again, you really need to get some life experience before going for somewhere so different.

Your idea of going anywhere that has 'better prospects than Britain lol' is quite concerning for a business student. You may have noticed that we are in a world recession, it is not just the UK that is suffering. Having said that, I hear that call centre workers in India have a very good lifestyle, relative to the majority of their population?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • ss70
    ss70 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Sluj_u40 wrote: »
    I've heard good things about Dubai but I'm open minded, as long as its got better prospects than Britain lol.

I've heard lots of bad things about Dubai.

Unemployment, property prices down 50%, bailouts from Abu Dhabi, rivers of stinking waste

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8058341.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/breakingviewscom/3129160/Dubai-moves-into-the-slow-lane.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/low/front_page/newsid_7981000/7981320.stm

What good things have you heard?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    i-to-i, you cannot advertise on here, please remove your post.

On a sidenote, I have heard of several bad experience with i-to-i, so one to avoid anyway!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    i was in dubai for a year from 2007-2008, it was great but i was only there because my uk employer sent me there, it would be difficult to just go on a tourist visa and find a job, unless your amazing, because they already have many professionals with experience there.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • vicshippers
    Options
    Dubai is only tax free if you stay there for a full 12 months...and you would have no chance of getting a job there with no experience.

Emmigrating is NOT easy - countries have very strict criteria generally (esp english speaking countries such as USA and Aus), you generally have to prove that you are qualified in a profession that they are currently short of. With no experience, I doubt this would apply to you.

You're thinking of emmigrating to a country where Arabic is the first language - can you speak it? Surely no-one would even think about moving to a country where they have no experience of the language. Would you?
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Actually you can get by without Arabic - lots of british people go their without any arabic knowledge - As long as your job is english-speaking you will be ok, the larger shops will have english speaking people etc. I guess you would have problems with the 'man on the street' or small shops though
  • mark1234567890
    Options
    I remember reading an article in the student careers magazine "Target" about recent graduates who have obtained jobs in the middle east. Perhaps you should head to your university careers office and flick through the previous editions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure