Banks make debt too easy

Options
Hello,

This morning I signed into my online bank account and before I could view my statement, was taken to a page that explained I could get a loan within 3 hours today, providing I completed the form by 2pm. No paperwork involved, everything sorted online and I could borrow a maximum of £25,000!!!!

It's no wonder that people find themselves in debt so quickly. Had it been a few years ago, I expect I'd have been at least tempted by it. But today, I declined the option to 'go to online application'!!

It makes me wonder how many people are sitting there, filling it in, making sure they finish it by 2pm today.

-x-

Comments

• wishingonastar_3
    Options
    i agree entirley, i've just recieved my credit card statement, which says yet again theyve put up my spending limit by £5,000, and i've had to ring them yet again tosay i don't want it. if its there its too much of a temptation for me. least i know i can be strong and say, no take it off again. makes you wonder how many people don't though.
    £2 saver club 30th sept 198 £2 coins = £396(£350 banked)
  • Bunnie1982
    Bunnie1982 Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    We had something similar-ish

My fiance went into our bank to arrange an appointment with them to discuss downgrading our joint account (to stop an account charge) later that day a representative phoned him and said "as your credit rating has dramatically improved we would like to offer you a loan"

We thought this was hilarious as fiances credit was in a terrible state and we knew there was no way on this earth he would get the loan

We went in and told her that we knew for a fact the loan would not be accepted and that my fiance was sorting his finances through CCCS, she turned round to us and asked "what are you doing a thing like that for"

Yet 6 months earlier one of her colleagues told my fiance his only option was bankruptcy (which wasn't true)
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes, I agree.

I had a letter from a cc company advising they had increased my credit limit by another £4K - up to £18K !!!

I phoned them and said no thanks - put it back where it was! The advisor was not amused, even telling me that having a higher limit was better for my credit rating and showed how good I was at managing my account. Yes - that's because I'm overpaying like mad to get rid of the balance!!!! :mad:
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    The job of the banks is to get as much money out of us as possible. And quite often they don't care if having a £25k loan is the best thing for our situation. I've had similar offers myself from a variety of 'financial institutions'. Would be easy to accept...but a very silly thing to do.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • MoaningMyrtle
    MoaningMyrtle Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Totally agree, the temptation is everywhere, especially credit card and catalogue people jumping out at you in the High Street or Supermarket.
    Also if you buy something in a shop and they say 'would you like to save 10% today on your items by opening a store account?'

I just say 'No thanks, I've had them before and I can't pay my bills'
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • jesster_2
    jesster_2 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone who had debt trouble and asked the bank for a temporary £100 extension on the overdraft to see them through. Bank said: no we can't extend your overdraft because you don't have enough money... but you are eligible for a loan of up to £15,000!

If you haven't tried the 'credit card experiment' that i posted a while ago, have a go and scare yourself at how these limit increases can leave you in real trouble.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=185516

Dec 2005 £8,500

April 2007 £0

Paid Off Since Lightbulb Moment £8,500

Debt Free Date: APRIL 16 2007

:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
  • blt
    blt Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar experiemce with my bank - I wanted to temporarily increase my overdraft by £100 for 3 months just to cover me over a lean period. They said no. I then asked to open a cc account with them. They said no. BUT!!! I could have a £10,000 graduate loan! What?!! This was Lloyds by the way
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    My nephew who is 18 has been offered £15,000 for a new car.The payments over 5 years are half his total take home pay.The little begga wouldn`t be talked out of it.Mind you,he got a great deal on the insurarance,it`s only £2,000 a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
  • Old_iron_balls
    Options
    Yep, I agree.

Ive recently paid off two loans with my bank TSB.

When i was in trouble a while back asking for help and advice they didnt want to know.

Now they are offering me allsorts....

"are you going on holiday this year Mr iron balls ? why not come into the branch and lets see if we cant help you on your way"

bloodsucking leeches !
    Debt at highest £16k+
    Debt at lightbulb moment £14,800
    Current debt £6336
    Cleared £4206 in November 05 How ? Bye Bye PPI :)
  • isgman
    isgman Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Even when I was dealing with the bank and credit cards trying to sort out a repayment plan,, they have all asked me if I wanted another loan... some are still sending me the "offer" of a loan dispite my problems...makes you wonder..
    :beer: Keep your Chin up.. it can only get better :beer:
    :confused: I'm one of those people who was born to have money, :confused:
    :confused: but I just don't have any!:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills