advice

Options
Hi All,

I'm not too sure where to put this but i'm sure you guys don't mind helping me out!!

I've got an account with the next directory which is fully paid up and the account is clear. I want to cancel this account as I don't want to use it anymore. However, I just called to cancel and have been told that they'll stop all details coming to the house and also no one can order but the account will be lying dormant incase i want to reopen it in the future.

Will this stay on my credit file? Can I request they cancel it completely and remove my details from their databases?

thanks for any advice!

total debt £10,000

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IM sure under the DPA you can request your details are removed from their system. Sounds like the bod on the end of the phone isnt aware of that. Tell them you want it closed, or you'll take them to court under abuse of your data. they will close it then.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • debtfreeinayear?
    Options
    well I emailed first and was told all details etc have been stopped but they've given me a stupid credit limit which i dont feel comfortable having and also I dont want it on my credit file...

total debt £10,000
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I closed my next account and yes, you do stop getting all the catalogues, leaflets, etc, through the door.

I had to chase them about a month later to ensure they'd actually closed it, as you say, closing to them is keeping it open!! So, I asked them to put it in writing that the account was completely closed, cancelled, done away with and also when the update the CRA so that it shows as settled on my credit report.

Hey presto! Job done...but it took a couple of months to complete.

Once you start talking to them about 'showing settled on your credit report' they take you a bit more seriously.

I'm finding this with cc companies too (so again am using the CRA chat) - my personal theory is there is a conspiracy to keep accounts open, as it means they have more customers!

PS. It will stay on your credit report for 6 years from the settled date.
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Ali-OK
    Options
    lynzpower wrote:
    IM sure under the DPA you can request your details are removed from their system. Sounds like the bod on the end of the phone isnt aware of that. Tell them you want it closed, or you'll take them to court under abuse of your data. they will close it then.

Hi Lynz

Next Directory are playing on the fact that they use a different meaning of 'closing' your account. To us - it means shut, gone, etc. To them - it means you can't use it, but can re-open it.

Having gone through the hassle with them, they say they've never been asked before to take details off the system and update CRA with settled. I suspect thats because people do not realise that its not technically closed. They also use the 'you do realise you'll never be able to have an account with us ever again' line. Yes I do and that's fine!

Personally, I feel they are being deceitful (as their confirmation letter avoids using 'your account is closed' and says 'sorry to hear you wish to close it') and I wonder whether Martin or one of his team should take a look at this.

Ex Next Directory customers probably don't realise that they're technically still customers (oh and if you ask to re-start your account that you think you've closed (but haven't) they do a further credit check and assessment of credit limit. A lose-lose for the customer then.

Thumbs down to Next in my book.
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

• debtfreeinayear?
    Options
    just found this site where it says you have to give prior written warning...so will an email do or should i post a letter? http://order.next.co.uk/WinTC.asp

total debt £10,000
  • Ali-OK
    Options
    You don't have to write to close the account and get your credit report updated, but I would suggest doing so and ask for a letter back confirming they have carried out the actions and dates they did it.

I did mine by telephone, but found myself on hold alot, as the advisor had to get some help from others due to the 'new nature of asking for an account to be completely closed'.
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

• Gerradene
    Gerradene Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is a different company, but i have just been on the phone with additions direct. I called to close my account on the 15th of March and was told all mailing would stop and account would go into 'closed status'. Well..... what actually happened was they increased my credit limit and gave me a 15% off voucher along with the usual junk they send. :mad:

Today i was told that they can't close my account, they will keep my details on file, i won't recieve any more mailings, i can use my account at any time, and i can have 10% off my next order :mad: :mad: :mad: the lady on the phone wouldn't even give me a postal address so i could put it in writing!!!!

They are sending me a letter to confirm my wish to close my account???

If i knew it would be this difficult to close i would never have agreed to it in the first place :rolleyes:
    Official DFW Nerd Club member no. 019 :D
  • Ali-OK
    Options
    Gerradene - this sounds similar to Next Directory.

I'd recommend that if you want to completely close it, and get it shown as settled on your credit report, then you phone them again and ask for both those things. It is the latter which will enforce them to close your account properly.

Ask for confirmation in writing of both actions being taken.

The downside is that they may not allow you to apply for a new account in the future, but that's fine if you never intend to use them again. Tell them that if they persist in keeping it open.

These practices amaze me!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

• Gerradene
    Gerradene Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    thanks alot Ali,

I said to the woman at additions that i wanted it to show as settled on my credit file. she informed me that it is me who needs to get that changed on a credit file. she actually argued with me!!

I will have another go at phoning them tomorrow, i don't think i'll ever buy anything from them again anyway because of the way i was spoken too:p
    Official DFW Nerd Club member no. 019 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport