My lunch challenge for W/C 24 April

Options
I am going to make lunch EVERY night and leave my purse at home so I cant spend ANY money at all.

I think this will save me about £25 next week at the very least.

In fact am giving my purse to my OH to make sure I cant access my cards at all! EEEEEEEK Im gonna feel lost without them!

I figure once I break this habit it will get easier.... hopefully!

Comments

• Jaymz
    Jaymz Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    I am also doing trying to do this for this week. Infact just made my lunch for tomorrow which should mean another 'No Spend Day' :)

I did this a few months ago but got fed up of doing it and didn't have time in the morning but when you think about the amount of money you waste by buying sandwiches etc its silly!
    Saving for a deposit: £20,551 / £25,000 - 82% of the way there...
  • sarah0404
    sarah0404 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with that! I just calculated the cost of a home made sandwich the other day. It costs........ 28p! That was for a cheese sandwich made with fairly expensive brown bread. You'd pay at least 98p for that in Tescos.
  • SaveMoreMoney
    Options
    Quick tip : make up your 'next day lunch' when you are cooking the dinner the night before. It's done and out the way.

sarah0404 - that's an interesting 'cost figure', I'll have to have a look at todays shopping receipt and work out my 'cost figure'. Certainly a huge saving on buying a packet of sandwiches !!
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Quick tip : make up your 'next day lunch' when you are cooking the dinner the night before. It's done and out the way.

Thats what I do now. It's soooo much easier. I used to think that that would go soggy or wouldn't be fresh - Duh! Shop bought sandwiches are often a day or 2 old.

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather. I like hot food in the winter :o Although a cup a soup with a sandwich sometimes does the trick!

Last summer I'd make 2 or 3 small tubs of salad and add various 'toppings' to them - cheese/cottage cheese/quiche etc and put them in the fridge. Nice and easy to take out in the morning and take to work.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • SaveMoreMoney
    Options
    Tesco's :-
    Sliced Wholemeal Loaf of Bread - 38p
    Lettuce - 36p
    Tomatoes - 34p
    Ham - 78p
    Chicken - 78p

I only need that lot to last a 4 day week : Friday I finish early afternoon - and either take a sandwich in to each about noon.........or cook some pasta and add anything leftover on the list above (apart from the bread).

£2.64 I think that little lot comes to / 5 days = 53p a day (thats using 4 slices of bread a day - so less than 27p a sandwich). Blimey, they are BIG mark ups in the shops !!!!!!
  • rallymad
    rallymad Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    I am determined to make my lunch myself all week. I've been meaning to do it for a month now, terrible.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Also why not take leftovers. So cook an little extra and have it hot the next day. Only good if you have a microwave.

Just means you have to serve up in to a container and then pick out the fridge on the way out.

In my husband previous job they always seemed to perfer his lunch to what they had bought because it looked so nice.

Or the other thing to do if you have access to a fridge. Is on a monday go to the supermarket on the way to work and buy bread and cheese and apples etc. Then you can make your sandwiches fresh each day.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Options
    Going to try the challenge this week and make packed lunches for myself DH and DD to take.This will save about £7 - £9 per day :eek: .
    That adds up to a ridiculous amount over a year, good incentive when you look at it that way. Anyway we are all trying to eat healthy and lose weight so looks like it is salads all round this week.

sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shop bought sandwiches ( ie supermarket ones) ARE MORE than 2 days old, I used to work in tescos, and stacking the shelves was part of my job for a while.

Monday -shelf empty
    Mon- go to cold store, pick box, box delivered AT LEAST THE DAY BEFORE
    Mon, stack shelf,
    Tue morning if any left from day before - reduce

KNowing distribution channels, if you reieve the box on Sunday, it will have been packed on Saturday, sandwiches made probably on saturday. So law of averages says, if you buy a\ reduced sandwich on tuesday, it is likely to have been made on Sat if not before. Other thing to note is often there was a number of boxes in the cold store, so pick the latest date to replensih on shelf.

Also OH mum knows someone who imports sandwich filling ( chicken mayo, tuna mayo etc) from, wait for it CHINA. God knows when it was ACTUALLY mixed, before going into supermarket sandwiches.

NO WAY IN HELL Id buy one now from knowing that. At least if yu make it in your fridge you can gurantee how long its been out of cold store for.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • loopyloulou_3
    loopyloulou_3 Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Options
    lynzpower thats shocking! that has put me off shop brought sandwiches! it makes you wonder what preservatives etc they put in them. I suppose at least my home made sandwiches are healthy, fresh and I know what is in them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure