B & E

Options
hi am wondering if anyone could advise on behalf of a friend. he has been with a debt management company for 6 years, and is going to be with them for another 18 years at the current rate he is paying, as this includes a £30 per month management fee (current payment = £190 per month. he has just had a phone call advising him to go for an IVA, but that the minimum he will need to pay is £350! there is no way he can afford this, as his take home pay is £850, and he lives on his own, full rent, full council tax etc. i have (many, many times) told of other agencies such as payplan, but i think he has been told that as he is already with another compny he can't change! i think a IVA would be the best solution for him, he doesn't have any assets (no house, car) and can't envisage getting either. total debts = around the £28000 mark. any advice would be great so i can show him this wonderful site!!

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CCCS or payplan DO NOT CHARGE!! Get him out of the grip of these companies!! links at top of page

I dont know much about them, but that £30 could be going to creditors instead, others will be along to advise further
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    we were with b&e and have just done our phone call to swap with payplan, they have cut a few years off our plan as we are not paying them a fee payplan also somehow managed to come up with more money left for our creditors than b&e (maybe they are a bit strictor with what you can have for this and that)
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • james32_uk
    james32_uk Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    Payplan, payplan, payplan!

PS An IVA with Payplan could be looking more at £200 per month. (less fees)
    Debt as at 12th July 2006 - £61,345 :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Debt free 21st Oct 2011.

All thanks to :money:
  • Donedoingdebt
    Donedoingdebt Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Definitely go to one of the free services such as Payplan, CCCS or CAB. Alternatively, as I have done, is contact your creditors directly, ask them for a standing order form & tell them you'll send them the money direct from your account rather than go through B&E who aren't very good anyway. You can then divide your £30 between however many debts you have & offer these companies a slightly higher payment, which, in my case not one of them refused. When you notify B&E that you do not require their services, you will lose your first £190 that you paid 6 years ago, but as they keep that for themselves anyway & do not pay your creditors with it then it's not really an issue. Make sure that you cancel your standing order to B&E before you contact them to cancel your arrangement as I'd imagine it would be difficult to get them to return your payment once they have it.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10 :beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport