🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Nailcare

Options
OK, so after 35 years of chewing, gnawing, ripping, tearing and generally murderising my hands, I have (and I have no idea how, so don't ask me) stopped biting my nails.

My Mum bites her nails, even now in her 70s, all my brothers bite their nails, I have never known anyone who has long nails. My bloke/ex/OH (it's complicated with him at the mo) has nice hands - it was one of the things that attracted me to him (yes, I know I'm extremely weird) - but he doesn't really do anything with them, they are just nice by default.

So I have absolutely no idea what to do with my nails or hands in general, as I have always tried to keep the nasty stumpy things well hidden.

Most people that I have seen out and about seem to either have very short stubby nails or square falsies, neither of which I like the look of. (sorry technicians, I'm not really a fashionable kinda person - I like the 30s 40s and 50s styles).

I bought rubber gloves for housework and at the moment I've been slapping on a coat of some stuff called nail envy every couple of days then cleaning it off after a week and starting again, and have tried a couple of polishes - Rimmel 60 second stuff is vile gloopy nastiness! - but I'm not really confident in what I'm doing.

Recommendations for polish brands are also welcome - I will go up to the designer brands if I need to - I'm probably not going to touch Rimmel again.

So - how should I look after them in a reasonably moneysaving way and have a pretty old fashioned/classic feel to their appearance?
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
colinw wrote: »
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D

Comments

• dieselhead
    dieselhead Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    Best way is to have a professional manicure done a couple of times so you can see what they do. I would hang on till the colleges start back and have your nails done by trainees as they are much much cheaper!

Personally most of the time I just file and buff my nails. When I do polish them I never use the 60second polishes as they never last as long. If its a really strong colour I use a base coat and I always always use a top coat. I love rimmels top coat as it evens out any blemishes and gives a great shine and finish.
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I can highly recommend OPI products - Original Nail Envy for my fingernails (clear but with a nice sheen), and a nice dark red polish for my toes! For hand lotion I use L'Occitane, lovely scents but also very moisturising.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2009 at 10:04AM
    Options

Most people that I have seen out and about seem to either have very short stubby nails or square falsies, neither of which I like the look of. (sorry technicians, I'm not really a fashionable kinda person - I like the 30s 40s and 50s styles).

I'm with you on that one - my gel nails are a nice classic oval and unless I choose to admit it no one would realise that they are not entirely my own!

Fake nails don't have to be square with thick ends and bright white tips. Having said that if your own nails are good you don't need them.

As someone else said treat yourself to some manicures to get them really looking good and then it is easy enough to do your own. Treat yourself to a nice pot of cuticle oil and use it daily - I keep a pot on my desk at work to remind me to use it. Creative's Solar oil is great and smells lovely but I'm currently addicted to the smell of the Ciate "Love Me" oil. It doesn't really matter what you use as long as you use it.

I have a huge collection of mail varnish of all brands and in my experience the price isn't a guide to staying power or even ease of application. I am currently using Ciate Paint Pots. Some fab colours and it lasts well too on me.
  • Sexy_Legs
    Sexy_Legs Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    The Body Shop Nail Block buffer gets really good reviews, I bought one yesterday but haven't used it yet, it has emery, ridger, buffer and shiner. The shine bit will make them really shiny and will last about 3 days.

You would only use the ridge and buffer bits about every 2 - 4 weeks I think, as if used more than that it will weaken the nail.

It cost £3.90
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family