P60 - Can It Be Hand-Written by the employer?

Options
Hi guys, just a quick question.

Close friend of mine is currently trying to obtain a student loan, and as part of their application was asked to send her P60's for the last 3 years.

She was working in a small cafe, and each year her employer issued her with a handwritten P60, detailing tax codes, earnings, tax paid and all the relevent bits and pieces.

Student Finance have came back today and declared that handwritten P60's are illegal. I really don't believe this is correct, but I can't seem to find any information to confirm. Any ideas?

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2009 at 7:54AM
    Options
    If Student Finance say it is illegal - get them to say where it says so in legislation. I don't believe they will be able to do so.

If they can't prove what they are saying, they have no basis for refusing to accept a handwritten P60.

(If your friend wants to give in without further time-wasting - then get the employer to issue a duplicate (marked as such) which someone types for them.)
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Golly, this is a bit of a worry for those of us who run small payrolls, eg for charities!
    It's a load of rubbish.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

The cafe she was working in over this period had closed down, and was only a small independent one. I didn't think there was any problems with accepting these, but I just wanted a bit of clarification.

I'll pass the information on. Thanks again.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    LittleVoice - show me someone with a typewriter in 2009!
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • saverspud
    saverspud Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    One of our ex-employees has just had the same problem reclaiming some payments from the SLC. It's very unfair that she is having huge problems with them based on the fact that our (now retired) finance officer was averse to using Sage to its full capacity, (and there are plenty of small charities who do not have the software/money/capacity/need to do this) but that's about getting money back. It's unbelievable that they won't loan money to someone to study on this basis - maybe the local MP could help if they are being really stubborn?
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    What do they mean by handwritten on the proper form with the information handwritten on it? That's fine, or do they mean they've just written the same information that would be on a P60 on a blank piece of paper - that probably isn't
  • brightonman123
    Options
    may be worth checking with the tax office, for possible back up records.. assuming employer acctually paid the tax!

btw, i have NEVER heard of hand written P60's - sounds rather iffy to me.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • bumpybecky
    bumpybecky Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    I do payroll for a small charity, it's a preschool playgroup. There are only 6 employees and I'm a vounteer treasurer. Until this year the staff had hand written P60s, it's only now I'm using the PAYE employers cd rom software that things are done by PC. This is perfectly legal for small scale employers :)
  • SwitchyChick
    Options
    i have NEVER heard of hand written P60's - sounds rather iffy to me.

Blimey, what did we all do before computers?! :rotfl:
    Mortgage #1 Oct 2008: £130,000
    Mortgage #2 Jun 2010: £60,000
    Both completely offset: 22/12/2011
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We tend to write ours out , last year for the first time we printed them off our software package , they got sent back because everything wasnt within the boxes ...........on a few of them the info touched the edge of the box , thats all it could abe read fine , oh and we got fined for late submission because of it............and we probably have about 30 to do every year
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport