'Vodafone’s new reward scheme... why not just give a discount?' blog discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
3 replies 2.3K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not just give a discount?
    Because they can.
    ;)
  • paulwfpaulwf Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Virgin have a similar reward scheme...£10 off a new phone for every £100 you top up.

I expect one reason they do it that way is because on PAYG you obviously don't get free upgrades, and this scheme helps move people on from ancient/broken phones at very little cost for the customer. If people have a modern phone with more services (MMS, internet, heck my old phones were even rubbish at texting) and it is in good working order that gives the phone company more potential to earn revenue.

I like the Virgin scheme...I've used it to get "free" basic Nokia phones for the last few years and this time round with a £20 rebate and text offer equivalent to me of £40 it turned a £90 phone into a £30 purchase. I suppose the difference is Virgin don't make a big deal of it and certainly don't say you are getting 10% cashback.
  • hellypellyhellypelly Forumite
    902 Posts
    paulwf wrote: »
    Virgin have a similar reward scheme...£10 off a new phone for every £100 you top up.

I expect one reason they do it that way is because on PAYG you obviously don't get free upgrades, and this scheme helps move people on from ancient/broken phones at very little cost for the customer. If people have a modern phone with more services (MMS, internet, heck my old phones were even rubbish at texting) and it is in good working order that gives the phone company more potential to earn revenue.

I like the Virgin scheme...I've used it to get "free" basic Nokia phones for the last few years and this time round with a £20 rebate and text offer equivalent to me of £40 it turned a £90 phone into a £30 purchase. I suppose the difference is Virgin don't make a big deal of it and certainly don't say you are getting 10% cashback.

I have virgin and never knew about the red rewards untill I was skimming over the site and found mine I had clocked up £140 in rewards I instantly got an upgrade.
    They charge just for the p&p I have had a new phone pretty much every 18 months or so now from them!

I also found their phone slightly cheaper as they come without a sim card but most of them are locked into virgin.
    2010 challenge A.B.C.D.[STRIKE]E.[/STRIKE]F.G.H.I.J.[STRIKE]K[/STRIKE].L.M.N.O.P.Q.[STRIKE]R[/STRIKE].S.T.U.V.W.X.Y.Z
    Best of luck everyone!
    I have also gone for platinum in the presents challenge.2/15
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides