Is this tax code right?

Options
I am retired with a pension of £16400 per year before tax and my tax code is 602L.

I have started a new part time job 25hrs per week on £10000 per year with a tax code of BR NONCUM.

I seem to be paying an awful lot of money in tax, is this tax coding right?

Bob

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how old are you

are you male or femael?

when was your tax code 602L? .. this tax year or last?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,867 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not an expert but it sounds right to me assuming that your pension providers are taking account of your 602L code when working out how much pensino to pay you. If they are then your entire tax allowance is being used up by your pension, so the income from your part time job is all taxed at the basic rate ('BR').
  • trevormax
    trevormax Posts: 943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the tax code on the second job is correct and everything should be taxed at 20% on this job.

Claptons questions are important as it is possible the tax code on the first employment is wrong.

I would ask another question though, If the OP is female and over 60 or male and over 65, are they taking their state pension and if so, how much is it?
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    As p00hsticks states above your tax free alloance is used on pension payments. The tax code for this year (April 209) is 647L so there must be some benefits or other payments that they have taken into account when working out your tax free allowance. Do you have a notification of tax code from HMRC?? If not phone them and ask how the 602L code is made up.

BR is correct for your job for perons recieving a pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure