Desparate for advice, Salary overpayment, No longer with that employer

Options
2»

Comments

• milliemonster
    milliemonster Posts: 3,708 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    It sounds to me that HR think you only worked 4 weeks notice even though you gave 8 (NHS is usually only 4 weeks) so although you worked 2 months for which they paid you, HR believe you only worked one month and they have paid you for 2 months therefore they think you owe them a months salary.

I would ring the HR dept up and discuss it with them, if this is indeed what has happened they would just need to clarify with your line manager when your last date of work was and it will be sorted
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it were me I'd write to the solicitor stating your case as above (that you believe you have been correctly paid having terminated your employment by submitting 2 months notice on xx February 2009, that this was the notice period required by your contract of employment and thus your employment ceased xx April 2009 the date you were paid up until).

Follow with; If they believe an overpayment has been made please can they confirm their acceptance of the facts as stated by you above, send you a copy of your signed contract of employment and state the specific grounds on which they allege any overpayment has been made.

(if you want to be mildly abusive you could add you've found their conduct somewhat unprofessional in not responding your earlier quey in a remotely adequate manner)

If and only if it turns out you were overpaid need you get into technicalities of if/when/how much they can take back off you.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Agree with the above. Also, you should request a full calculation of the supposed 'overpayment'.

As yet, they have not provided this and I cannot see how they can enforce this request for repayment without it!

When I left the UK, my employer provided a final pay (including payslip to show calculation) in which they had overpaid me by around 800 GBP! I pointed this out and they sent a revised payslip - showing I actually owed them a little for holidays taken but not earnt (could this be the case with you at all?).

I paid it all back, but I called them first and requested to pay back over two months as I had only just moved and simply couldn't afford to give it all back in one go. They got their original overpayment back in first month and the remainder the next.

All employer's should do a 'final salary' calculation and provide this to you when you leave, as far as I am aware anyway.

Have you changed address since then? ie, is it possible it got lost in the post? Not trying to stick up for them or anything, but these things do happen.

I would call the HR department and ask them to explain, because, as of yet, they have offered no explanation and ignored your requests via email and letter. You may have better luck requesting this over the phone, just make sure they confirm all in writing afterwards.

Good luck!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family