🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

rule PMT - dont let it rule you

Options
well i searched, and the search function was its normal 'helpful' self :rolleyes: , so i thought i'd start a new thread as i couldnt find anything suitable to add to.

until recently, PMT hasnt really been an issue for me. i was always a bit quiet and withdrawn around 'that' time of the month, and had a few spots for good measure, but other than that no one was any the wiser that i had the painters in.

i dont know why, but the past few months, i am hormonal superb*tch just before/during first day of my period. i feel so horribbly irrational - fine one minute, undesirable urge to cry the next, then i feel stupid for being so irrational which makes me cry all the more, and then i get angry with myself for being so silly :eek: . have also been experiencing mood swings, and it is normally poor OH who gets it in the neck. bless him, he's been so patient and understanding, and i really want to get back to 'normal' because its not fair on either of us.

so i was wondering what you other ladies did to control the attack of the red eyed monster, and how you keep yourself in check whilst your hormones try their level best to get you locked up in a mental institution :rotfl:

i've heard talk of magnesium and vitamin b6 supplements - anyone tried this, and found it helpful (or useless, im interested either way)
know thyself
Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,143 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't tried magnesium, b6 useless.

But then my PMT was really a phase in the process from PND to 'normal' background depression ...

Anything else changed? New meds for anything else? new job, change of routine, change of diet?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    Anything else changed? New meds for anything else? new job, change of routine, change of diet?

not that i can think of. to be honest, i think i was very lucky to get away so lightly up until now.

am open to all suggestions though (before i scare OH off for good :rotfl: )
    know thyself
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    some people swear by evening primrose oil, I tried it, it made me cry for the whole week....I kept trying for a few months until OH hid the capsules!!

Have to give some thought as to what I do, probably just get grumpy with the OH and blame it on the TOTM!!!

M
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Calcium and vitamin D intake and risk of incident premenstrual syndrome.

Top 10 Vitamin D Myths

Shows that the more vitamin d you have the better you absorb calcium
    and this shows how much Cholecalciferol Vitamin d3 you use each day

Many tablets combining Calcium&vitamin d use D2 ergocalciferol rather than d3 cholecalciferol. You need Cholecalciferol as this is more effective and less toxic.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i was hoping you'd show up ted :D

is there an effective way of getting those benefits food-wise? i think i'd like to avoid taking supplements if possible
    know thyself
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    i was hoping you'd show up ted :D

is there an effective way of getting those benefits food-wise? i think i'd like to avoid taking supplements if possible
    Between April and September you can get Vitamin d3 by exposing as much skin as possible to sunshine. If you are white then about 20mins fully naked will be sufficient for 12000iu around midday but the more clothes you wear the longer you need to be exposed. Face and hands represent less than 10%,so if that's all the flesh the sun shines on, you will need a 2-3 hrs. The browner you skin likewise means more time needed 5times longer for brown skins and 10 times a long for blacks. (Which is one reason why the health prospects of many blacks is poorer than for whites)See Sunlight robbery : health benefits of sunlight are denied by current public health policy in the UK note you cannot overdose on vitamin d3 from sunlight. When your body has made enough it shuts down production. The danger is sunbathing is burning but you body will have made enough vit d at the point you start to turn pink so STOP at that point and cover up. Don't risk burning as that will cause problems though not as great as the dermatologists would have you believe. See Sun exposure is associated with increased survival from melanoma.

This list of food sources is fairly good Food source vitamin d but be aware the latest research is showing that to reduce cancer risk by up to 50% you need at least 2000iu daily so this makes it virtually impossible to source from food sources. Note to that we do not fortify milk in the UK so our dairy sources contain only a trace of vit d.

So in the winter, it's either go abroad or use a tanning studio. I don't know why you have reservations about tablet use for vitamin d. I think the considered opinion rates them over sun exposure for risk though I'm sticking to sunbathing as much as possible. This chap is the real expert
    Dr. Cannell Answers Readers' Questions

If you're thinking of becoming pregnant then 4000iu is the target see
    Vitamin D requirements during lactation: high-dose maternal ...

The calcium is far easier to find in food
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having a baby also helps :eek:

My daughter has horrendous pmt and I have tried so many different things nothing so far has made a difference :(

I don't know if this is any help?

BUPA help sheet
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • rrutter_2
    rrutter_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Oh how I sympathise! I too was fine until recently... (found the cause though - cyst on ovary - just don't much like the treatment proposed for that!) I have been told that Starflower oil is best - gamma linoleic (or is it linolenic) acid content is higher, evening primrose helps apparently more with breast tenderness. The boffins are split on this, and the NHS has taken evening primorse off prescription due to lack of apparent response to other PM symptoms
    I am also told that it takes about 2 or 3 months for the full benefit to kick in - I was looking for a recommendation as to the best purchase source of this - Natures' Best seems to be a good site and quite reasonable priced.
    Anyone else heard of this? Got any other recommendations?
    Money - the root of all evil some say. :confused:
    August 2008 grocery challenge £300 2x adults, 1xdog, all cleaning, all alcohol and the august bbq
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I never really got emotional PMT - my symptoms were always horrendously physical. Agnus castus capsules did give some relief from the imbalances, but as it's strong herbal medecine, do your own research and/or see a qualified herbalist if you decide to go down that route. Cutting down on dairy products and sugar for 2 weeks before can help too.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    rrutter wrote:
    I was looking for a recommendation as to the best purchase source of this - Natures' Best seems to be a good site and quite reasonable priced.
    Anyone else heard of this? Got any other recommendations?
    Zipvit A14d Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg - 200 (size H) 7.95
    Simply Supplements 1000mg S281 360 £13.29
    boots half price offer 60 Caps 1000mg | 8.4p per 1 capsule Now £5.02 (Was £10.05)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills