Leaving work, going back to uni...

Options
I have a feeling this may get bumped to the Student forum, but I thought I would ask it here anyway.

I've been toying with the idea of going back to full time education for a couple of years (on and off) and I wondered if anyone else had done it, and what your experiences were.

I'm in job that pays reasonably well, but to be honest, I hate it. It's database / programming / web design, and it doesn't inspire or interest me anymore and to be honest, it never really has. I sort of drifted into it from other computer related jobs and now it feels like I'm stuck in a rut. There is very little chance of career progression in the job...partly because of the structure of the company I work for, and partly because I dislike the work so much I have no real drive to continue learning new skills to make me more marketable.

Just a quick disclaimer here - this isn't going to be a winge about how unfair the world is - I realise that I'm in very lucky position compared to a lot of the country, and also I think about how my Grandad worked in the mines from his early teens and how he would have given his right arm to have a job like mine (which is quite ironic seeing as how he was hit by a coal truck and lost his right leg below the knee in his mid twenties).

It's a situation of my own making, I know. I've always 'dabbled' with computers and been a bit of a nerd so I've just assumed that I'd do a job with computers in them without any real sort of career planning. And here I am, stuck on a rut with a comfortable wage.

I realise that going back to university would mean losing my salary and asking the family to make a huge set of sacrifices to me. Since becoming debt free several years ago it's been reassuring to know that there is money left to save and spend on some luxuries (and that's part of the attraction of the rut / comfort zone).

But it's getting to the point now where I start the weekend getting depressed and anxious about going back to work. Holidays always have a bit of a shadow over them now, because you know that eventually, you're going to have to go back.

I'm wondering if the going back to university, losing that security, then starting again at a graduate salary is worth it, if what you get at the end of it is job which you might actually look forward to going to?
I can't begin to imagine what that would feel like.

In terms of the family, I don't think we're placed that badly really. We live in a very cheap, housing association house. We don't have a massive mortgage. Daughter is almost on the brink of leaving school and going to college, no other dependant children. I probably waste about £2,000 a year on beer (which I'm trying to bring down to as near zero as possible). I have no expensive hobbies that I miss apart from climbing...I'm not shy of hard work and wouldn't have any problem with taking any sort of part time job to help keep the family afloat...

I mentioned this to a friend at work and he came out with a line along the lines of "better to be at the bottom of a ladder that you want to climb, than to be halfway up one that you don't" and that really stuck with me.
I'm sorry for the ramble, just thinking out loud really. I'm trying to consider all of the negatives...I'm fully aware that getting through university doesn't actually make it any easier to get a job in the current climate....I don't know what sort of financial help I'd be able to get..I might even have to pawn some of my wifes handbags...
And three years...is it really that long? If I'd taken the leap when I first considered it, I'd be coming to the end of it now :)

What are your thoughts ? (and sorry again for the ramble)

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to do it then go for it - as for climbing you won't need to give up that because they have climbing clubs at University:D

I was stuck in a rut once - I had always been a PA but I soon got bored with it and then I got ill whilst I was working at a University (long story won't bore you with the details) to which end they made me redundant in August 2007, it has taken me a while to pick myself back up again and then found that I couldnt get a job:mad: so I had this bright idea that I would work for myself so I set up with the help of the jobcentre and finished test trading in April this year, I live on working tax credit which is less than dole money but it is far more rewarding working for myself. I also decided that I wanted to study for a diploma in wedding planning (I managed to persuade the jobcentre to part with over £500 for the the course), I have now completed the course and am waiting for the diploma and the logo to go on my website. I havent finished learning either as I have now booked to do the events planning diploma (I have over 15 years' experience of event organisation) - again this is for the logo for my website and I am hoping to learn something new.

Yes you can start again - I am 47 and am now doing something I enjoy and I adore working for myself because there is only me to shout at if I get up late or whatever:D

Good luck
  • GreyPilgrim
    GreyPilgrim Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    Or I could do some proper climbing on actual rock for free outdoors!!!!

I think if I don't do it, I'm going to just sit here grumbling for the next 30 years wondering what could have been, and then turn into a really bitter nasty person.

Ok, maybe I already am one, and I'll just get worse :)
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    You only have one life so live it:D

Climbing clubs at Uni do climb on real rocks in the real outdoors too and I am sure they will welcome an expert climber into their ranks:D See if you have lots to look forward to as a student - cheap beer, climbing, the odd lecture, more beer and more climbing:cool:

Good luck:D
  • notlongnow_2
    Options
    Do whatever makes you happy. you seem like you want to do it....so give it a go.

Good luck.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
    Ebay challenge...£12.61/£200
  • cchase_2
    cchase_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Or I could do some proper climbing on actual rock for free outdoors!!!!

I think if I don't do it, I'm going to just sit here grumbling for the next 30 years wondering what could have been, and then turn into a really bitter nasty person.

Ok, maybe I already am one, and I'll just get worse :)

REMEMBER ...IN 10 OR 20 YEARS TIME FROM NOW, YOU WILL BE MORE DISAPPOINTED BY THE THINGS THAT YOU DIDN'T DO THAN BY THE THINGS YOU DID DO!!!

I have this written down in a book at home. So at the ripe old age of 45 I'm off to uni for the very first time in September!!! :j:j:j:j:j
    Go for it !!!
  • Jag_Babe
    Jag_Babe Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    I have sort of done this. When I first left school (13 years ago) I worked with animals (always been my passion) however through one thing and another (moving, family comittments etc) I had to give it up.

About 18 months ago I decided that I was going to follow my dream and now I am working as a freelance journalist / copywriter and photographer focusing mainly on animals and doing a range of very useful home study courses including Pet Sitting, Animal Care and also the required highers. I am also starting college/ university in September to study vet medicine.

Another thing that I have done since making this decision 18 months ago is to learn to horse ride and I am looking into doing my riding exams.

I way that I think is that if you really want something then go for it. If it doesn't work out for what ever reason then at least you can look back on it and say "at least I tried and gave 100%".
    I am aiming to be debt free by the time I am 30 (May 2010)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure