Debts on my credit file

Options
Hi all. I have a quick question. On my credit file, I have an amount owing to Barclaycard, which they say I defaulted on back in 2005 and the file hasnt been updated since. This is the time, I went with the CCCS. (it was actually Morgan Stanley, but Barclycard took them over).

Anyway, The CCCS were making payments to them up until about 6 months ago, when I left the CCCS, as my debts were extremely managable and I only have the barclaycard debt to pay off, which again, I have been making payments to. So all in all, i havent missed a payment since my credit file shows the Default/Delinquent amount.

Obviously, I shall be contacing Barclaycard, but my question is, if I get this sorted, surely Barclaycard should update my file to show that I have been making monthly payments since 2005 shouldnt they?

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Longy77 wrote: »
    Obviously, I shall be contacing Barclaycard, but my question is, if I get this sorted, surely Barclaycard should update my file to show that I have been making monthly payments since 2005 shouldnt they?

Once an account is defaulted, payment history is no longer recorded. That "status" just stays as a default ([8] with Experian).

They should however update the files to show that the balance owing has reduced since the default.

From Experian.....
    An account is in default when you have not been able to keep to the terms of a credit agreement. We keep a record of these accounts for six years from the date the lender decided you had broken the terms of the agreement. The lender will have told you that the account was to be classed as being in default.

Making repayments to a defaulted account after the defaulted date does not change the history of the account, even once you have made all the repayments. The status history of '8' shows that, at the defaulted date, you were not keeping to the agreed terms.

The details about that account will show how much money you owed on the date when the agreement was broken (the defaulted date) and how much money you now owe. It will reflect any payments you have made to the organisation since the agreement was broken. When the account is paid in full, the information will be updated to read ‘Balance Satisfied'.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure