2 jobs?

Options
I'm a student and I work in a part time job for 8 hours, and I have a tax code of 647L so I dont get taxed.

But during the summer i'm on an 3 month placement aswell, getting about £1000 a month.

Will I be taxed for this cause I have 2 jobs?

Any help would be great!

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Your summer placement is likely to be given a BR code as your other job has the tax code - this means that you will be taxed at 20%.

However it's not the amount of jobs that you have that is important. It is how much you will earn over a tax year. If it is less than your personal allowance of £6475 you will not pay tax. However because you have two jobs you may have to pay tax initially and claim it back later.

You don't say how much you earn in your part time job so can't really say any more.
  • xxstephdxx
    Options
    I get about £220 a month from my part time job usually. But i'm only working 4 hours a week there until I finish my placement so i'l get about £110 for 3 months. Its a bit confusing.

I think for the entire year i'l be under that, so does that mean that I claim it back at the end of the year?

Thanks!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    xxstephdxx wrote: »
    I think for the entire year i'l be under that, so does that mean that I claim it back at the end of the year?

Thanks!

Yes you can.

The other possibility is to ask HMRC to swap over the codes so that the placement gets the 647L code - it will mean you pay less tax than the other way round. Then at the end ask to swap them back. Or possibly split the codes between the two jobs.

Phone HMRC and discuss it - see what they can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure