Tax Help

Options
Now im unsure how this works so bare with me, im a student and entitled to earn up to 6.5k i believe in 2009 tax free.

was released via p45 from my old job in january, since then ive worked via a job agency doing temporary work.

Now, ive been told that because i do multiple jobs even though im allowed to earn upto 6.5k untaxed, im being taxed out of £153, £30.60 was taken for tax and 4.73 NI, i know that you cant get out of NI at all so thats no problem. But the tax is how do i go about rectifying this situation? or am i not able to, ive currently got 3 jobs through the agency on seperate weeks and my tax code is BR W1 ( Basic wage ).

When i signed up to the agency they asked for national insurance so i thought that would sort things.

The agency pay me not the individual companies they pay the agency who in turn pay me and send me my payslip with each job on the same form.

Comments

• TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    If you are just doing work on a ad-hoc in holidays etc, and you don't expect to earn over £6,475 in the tax year you should complete P38S forms for your employments. This will mean you shouldn't get taxed on these.

If you go over the allowance you'll have to start paying tax though.

This a better way than claiming back at the end of the year because you get the benefit of it right away.

The link is here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/employees/start-leave/special/students.htm
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The agency should apply 647L as your tax code... I would suggest you contact the HMRC.

Have you checked that the tax for year 2008/9 was correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure