How long is a 'quarter' ?

galba
galba Posts: 86 Forumite
I've been analysing my Scottish Power electricity bills for the past 30 months, mainly so I have all the facts to hand when/if I need to switch. I've been on their guaranteed fixed price 2010 package since January 2007.

Scottish Power's idea of a 'quarter' seems to be anything between 80 and 94 days duration. The last time it was just 80 days it resulted in a bill for which only two direct debits had been paid instead of the usual three. This meant that my credit balance fell to less than ten pounds which sent their little computer into panic mode and it immediately upped my DD by two pound/month !

Surely it's a simple matter to arrange on=line meter reading/billing at 91 day intervals with an occasional one at 92 ?

Comments

• Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    The billing "quarter" needs to fall in line with the reading routes, ideally it should be 91 days but sometimes it will vary due to changes in the reading routes.
  • galba
    galba Posts: 86 Forumite
    Sorry...don't understand what you mean by 'reading routes'.

SP email me with a request to read my meter and submit the reading to a form on their web site. The bill is calculated immediately and I can then download a pdf version of it.

All they have to do is flag the email request to the appropriate date.
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    galba wrote: »
    Sorry...don't understand what you mean by 'reading routes'.

SP email me with a request to read my meter and submit the reading to a form on their web site. The bill is calculated immediately and I can then download a pdf version of it.

All they have to do is flag the email request to the appropriate date.
    Your meter is assigned to a route which will be read every 6 months. The bills need to fall in line with this date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure