Having a tooth out to fix overcrowding - is it worth it?

Options
Please forgive me if a similar question has already been answered, but I've had a good search and don't think it has! I have overcrowded bottom teeth and the middle one at the front sticks out quite a bit. I've started to really notice it in the mirror lately and a friend of mine tells me that this is because now I'm in my late 40s, my face is starting to sag a bit and reveal how wonky my teeth have been all this time! Aargh!

My dentist has suggested that I see an orthodontist to see if it's a good idea to remove the tooth that sticks forward (which would leave a gap of about 4mm) and maybe have braces to get the teeth to move together to fill the gap.

I already had a tooth removed from my lower set for this reason when I was 25 and wore traintrack braces for about 18 months and then a retainer that I wore at night. I found the retainer really painful and foul-tasting so stopped wearing it after a few months. I suppose I'm now paying the price!

Anyway, it's about £95 just to see the orthodontist for a consultation and I'm wondering if anyone knows roughly what it would cost for an extraction and braces (if it's too expensive I don't want to punt the £95)? Also, I don't want to be stuck wearing a retainer forever - does anyone know if it's always necessary?

Many thanks for any advice! I don't want to waste loads of money and I'm scared it will be an expensive process.

Comments

• jugglebug
    jugglebug Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please forgive me if a similar question has already been answered, but I've had a good search and don't think it has! I have overcrowded bottom teeth and the middle one at the front sticks out quite a bit. I've started to really notice it in the mirror lately and a friend of mine tells me that this is because now I'm in my late 40s, my face is starting to sag a bit and reveal how wonky my teeth have been all this time! Aargh!

My dentist has suggested that I see an orthodontist to see if it's a good idea to remove the tooth that sticks forward (which would leave a gap of about 4mm) and maybe have braces to get the teeth to move together to fill the gap.

I already had a tooth removed from my lower set for this reason when I was 25 and wore traintrack braces for about 18 months and then a retainer that I wore at night. I found the retainer really painful and foul-tasting so stopped wearing it after a few months. I suppose I'm now paying the price!

Anyway, it's about £95 just to see the orthodontist for a consultation and I'm wondering if anyone knows roughly what it would cost for an extraction and braces (if it's too expensive I don't want to punt the £95)? Also, I don't want to be stuck wearing a retainer forever - does anyone know if it's always necessary?

Many thanks for any advice! I don't want to waste loads of money and I'm scared it will be an expensive process.

You need to decide how much you care about this, it is essentially a cosmetic issue so to some folk they would be willing to throw many ££ at it, others dont bother. Very personal to you.
    Costs are very very variable depending on choices you make, do you want ceramic brackets that are less noticeable than metal ones, or brackets made to go on the tongue side of the teeth so invisible to the outside world? Or the transparent orthodontic aligners (invisalign or clearstep)
    Unfortunately the only person who can give you an accurate quote is the orthodontist. However It usually takes 12 to 18 months for a normal course of treatment to align the whole mouth, you are talking about a much smaller problem and as such I would imagine a shorter treatment time with therefore less cost.
    Retainer will probably be required but is is possible for some cases to be retained by bonding a tiny wire onto the back of your teeth. My wife has one in place to stop her midline space opening again. Every so often I need to top up the resin holding it on, but it is essentially permanent.
    Take what I say with a tiny pinch of salt though. This particular dentist hates orthodontics and tries not to get involved usually :p
  • Noggin_the_Nog_2
    Options
    Thanks very much indeed, Jugglebug, that's really clear and useful information. I particularly like the sound of ending up with a little wire retainer rather than the nasty plastic moulded thing. I feel encouraged to go for the consultation!
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Brace will probably cost £1500 upwards and bear in mind if your teeth moved once before they may very well again if retainer is not worn possibly for life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure