Is anyone doing their own hair?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
14 replies 849 views
madfrenchgirlmadfrenchgirl Forumite
1.7K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
I just thought I would follow in the tradition of "Is anyone doing their own make-up?"...

I went for my hair trial and did not like it one bit. It was a very posh salon and it was very expensive. I am now trying to find a mobile hairdresser to come and do my hair ont he day but I only have 1 month to go and none of them are replying to my calls: I guess everyone is on holiday. TBH, the more I think about it, the more I am inclined towards doing my own hair: it is such a frizzy/curly/coarse/difficult mane that I have yet to find any hairdresser who could do a better job than me. When i look back on my hairdresser history, I realise the only thing I am happy with when I get out is a trim.

Do we know of sites/videos where they teach you how to do your own hair somewhere?

I am off to buy tons of frizz-ease serum, lol.
"Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
It's only teenage wasteland"
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
RIP John Entwistle

Replies

• BB1984BB1984 Forumite
    1K Posts
    I am doing my own hair - partly because the wedding is in the middle of nowhere, and we're arriving the day before, so it would be difficult to go to a salon and expensive to have someone come to me. And partly because I hate people fiddling with my hair!

But I'm not doing anything fancy, as I don't like my hair when it's up. I have long, straight hair, and I'm just having it half up, with a pearl hairband and then my veil on the back of my head. Looks like "me" much more than if a hairdresser did it!

BB
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
  • edited 30 July 2009 at 1:42PM
    debs2327debs2327 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    edited 30 July 2009 at 1:42PM
    oh i put a link on ere ages ago for step by step wedding hair do`s dont think i could find it now but someone else might it was really easy step by step guides too

found it :-)
    http://www.ukhairdressers.com/wedding/Bridal%20Hair.asp
    wins :- x2 hair dyes ,mascara, epilator,personalised card , glass photo ,
    comp angels please throw some luck my way
    :D:j:D:A:)
  • birdukbirduk Forumite
    466 Posts
    I have to say that my sister has this same issue with hairdressers. She goes to them and comes out a frizzy mess, does it herself and it falls in gorgeous ringlets. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing your own hair- just make sure you do it early so you don't get stressed and sweaty doing it (I know I would!).
  • This is brilliant as well if you need a step by step...

http://www.weddinghair.com/
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Some great finds on both sites, thanks Picklepick and Debs!
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • debs2327debs2327 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    i love this one its what ive been looking for thanks
    http://www.weddinghair.com/images04/mh/mh8detail1.jpg

think ive done that link ok
    wins :- x2 hair dyes ,mascara, epilator,personalised card , glass photo ,
    comp angels please throw some luck my way
    :D:j:D:A:)
  • thats lovely debs... im desperately trying to grow my hair so i can have a fabulous up-do

h2b says he likes it when my hair is up because he can see my face better... ahhhhhh
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • I too have very thick, curly hair and would deffo recommend trying a more exotic hairdresser. I cannot believe how well my hair behaves itself after a cut from my turkish hairdresser.

As for doing my hair at home I'd recommend putting your hair in rollers and setting lotion the night before. Really stops all the crazy hairs which frizz up and makes it so easy to style and pin. Hair feels pants while it's on though but it does gleam in photos.

I've got a hair thing called a donut (from Boots) which I just pin my hair over when up and it looks fab (and so easy). It's the only way to get the cheryl cole look with putting in a hairpiece.
  • moneysaver12moneysaver12 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking wether or not to do my own hair or to get the salon in the hotel to do it, we are getting married aboard. I will be wearing a veil and a tiara, was going to have my hair up, it is just past my shoulders, but now thinking if iam wearing a veil will it look better down or will it look nice up?
    Married 09/09/09
  • CardamomCardamom Forumite
    127 Posts
    Hi,

Have you tried youtube? There are lots of girls on there that make hair and make up tutorials and show you how to recreate a style step by step.

What kind of style are you looking to do for your big day?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals