Does the length of a personal statment lead to rejection of an application?

Options
My friend is applying for a job in local government. The job advert says your "personal statement must demonstrate how you meet each point from on the person specification (PS). Please use examples, where possible to demonstrate this."

Now I've seen several PS's before with 10-15 points you must have and takes approximately 2-3 sides of an A4 sheet to address these. My friends PS has 47 specification points which are all indivudal and not linked in any way so require a different example all over and none which state they are desirable so making the assumption they are all essential points for the post holder. As a result of addressing 47 points, his statement is 8 pages long.

The recruitment policy where he works says that each point must be demonstrated in his statement.

He's showed it to his team leader in the department he's applied to and the team leader said its too long (even though he has addressed each point). His team leader has poor level of English and has never been to the recruitment training before. He got the job through an apprentice program so wasn't subject to applying on an application form.

I've looked through the statement and cannot see how it can be made anymore concise than already done so. All of it is relevant. And if he takes anything out, he doesn't meet the person spec.

Can my friend be rejected by his team leader cos he can't be bothered to read an 8 page statement that addresses all the points?

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    47 points in a person spec sounds horrendous! Whatever is the job which requires that level of detailed expertise?
    The team leader wont be the only person on the panel - there should be at least 3, so it shouldnt be up to one person. I also agree that each point has to be addressed, yet 8 pages sounds long!
    Your friend is between a rock and a hard place, but on balance, he has to include all the person spec points.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • chipmoon
    chipmoon Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2009 at 1:51PM
    Options
    The job he applied for if was based on knowledge and experience would have been about 20 points I think which is a fair amount. It's just an IT Team Leader post.

However, the council know have this thing called four core values which each post holder must now meet and as a result, an additional 17 nonsense points were added when they could have really been added under Equal Opportunities with only 3 or 4 additional points and they have phrased it in such a way, he has to use different examples as you can't interlink them.

A 20 point person spec takes between 2-3 sides of an A4 so double the points on the person spec also doubles the statement as if he just stated the statements and says he has them and uses know example, that in itself is 3 pages!!!

I feel really sorry for him because his team leader will reject him because he can't be bothered to read the statement. There will be 3 people on the panel but only one person (team leader) will short list the applicants.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    All I can say is, its very poor practice to only have one member of the panel shortlisting! How mad.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    47?! Good lord, I struggle when there's more than 8! :p I hate talking about myself though and always end up leaving the PS until last then sit and dwell on it for ages.

Can he speak to human resources/recruitment who did the description and see what they say?
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • chipmoon
    chipmoon Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    They said that it is possible that some of the points could be desirable but thats up to the discretion of the manager whether he gives lee way or not. He said its not indicated to say whats essential and desirable and they said the best thing to do is to ensure you answer it all and that you can show in your statement that you can do the job. Pointed out theres 47 points and there was no comment.

I can;t believe they would say you can have only 2 sides cos the points it self took 2-3 pages!!!!! Just repeating them and putting the words "I have" in front will take 3 sides forget adding the example!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure