Job loss coming - please advise

Options
I have been working full time via an agency with the same organisation for the last two and a half years. The organisation is due to advertise the permanent job in October - for which I am told I will have to apply. But they are also having to cut costs so the permanent job will be part time, at a lower hourly rate and with more responsibilities!
The bottom line is this won't pay the mortgage anyway. And as I have no child and it is under 30 hours, I won't qualify for working tax credit.
First I'm assuming that as an agency worker I have no employment protection?
I am a couple of years off retirement age but understand it will be close to impossible to get early release of previous superannuation. I will try but am not hopeful of getting another job.
Secondly I do have a few thousand pounds capital but have a stack of house repairs pending.
I still have equity in the house.
Has anyone ever used an independent advice service? Someone who could review the situation with benefits, capital etc? Would Citizens Advice be able to help or are they likely snowed under anyway? If there is a good private service out there, I would be willing to pay.
Thanks
Chrissy

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm..I'd got the vague idea that if one has been doing the same job for over two years - then its become "yours" as a permanent job anyway...therefore no need to apply for it...it would already BE yours (on YOUR pay/conditions).

I may be wrong on that one - it may be over three years (I'm not sure on the length of time involved). So - I guess we'll have to wait for someone to come along who knows the legal position as to the exact position regarding how and when a temporary job de facto becomes a permanent job for the jobholder (even if the employer didnt mean it to be).

I'm just thinking here that if the job has "become yours on a permanent basis" - due to the length of time you have had it - then you couldnt force them to keep you in the job on the basis that you have had - but you would be eligible for some redundancy pay - as they would have to make you "redundant" to get rid of you.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks ceridwen.
    Unfortunately the employer with whom an agency worker is contracted is not obliged to convert the worker to a permanent job - whatever the length of service. If ever such a law is brought in, I can see a mass of employers ditching their agency staff before reaching the 'time limit'!
    It does rankle though. I will have been in this job for nearly 3 years by the time the axe falls with not a day off sick (swine flu permitting). I have turned round a failing project and by working untold extra hours upped their rating in a recent service inspection. But hey, easy come, easy go.
    Thanks anyway. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport