PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dithering - shall I keep a store cupboard?

12346»

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 August 2009 at 11:14AM
    ChocClare wrote: »
    ... The only thing that worries me is that, when there was a petrol strike about five years ago(?) it was amazing how things absolutely DISAPPEARED from the supermarket shelves. Supermarkets operate on a just in time system, where deliveries need to be daily for the shelves to stay full - if we do have this much-vaunted pandemic hitting us in the Autumn, then I know I'd feel safer knowing I can live out of my storecupboard for a while...:eek:

I mentioned about the JIT system in an older thread I think, whilst the fuel protests were ongoing a while back the government asked the main supermarkets to find ways of keeping more stock as they only carry enough for a day or two; if there's any kind of panic the shelves will be empty way before I can get to them :D

Its taken me a few years to get out of the habit of shopping for the family - my kids have each had their own homes for years now! I'm reducing the amount of some items I keep in store anyway, and a couple of Christmases ago it was quite a relief to realise that I didn't HAVE to buy a christmas pudding - I don't like it but had continued to buy one every year since the kids moved out :confused:

Its about finding what works for you and your family, in terms of space, money, convenience and peace of mind ;)

Edited to say I keep a good range of medicines and first aid supplies too - for winter its cough and cold remedies, for summer its hay fever tablets and sting cream. :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I often visit LDS sites - Yahoo groups etc. I am not a Mormon, but their teaching is that everyone should have a year's supply of everything - food, money, clothing, water, medicines etc. etc.
    The only thing that worries me is that, when there was a petrol strike about five years ago(?) it was amazing how things absolutely DISAPPEARED from the supermarket shelves.:eek:

oooh, you`re a girl after my own heart. Brilliant, now I CAN justify my store and I am keeping it
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    oooh, you`re a girl after my own heart. Brilliant, now I CAN justify my store and I am keeping it

Great reply! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You should see some of their storecupboards - I should say store BASEMENTS :D If you think you've got a storage problem, look at this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBt0pw3J2lk
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Great reply! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You should see some of their storecupboards - I should say store BASEMENTS :D If you think you've got a storage problem, look at this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBt0pw3J2lk

hi,after seeing this i feel soooo much better about my stuff lol.:j
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • wendy+5
    wendy+5 Posts: 342 Forumite
    I knew I shouldn't have looked! Have you seen the kitchen storage ideas from everydayfoodstorage? Amazing!
  • wendy+5
    wendy+5 Posts: 342 Forumite
    She has a website too - everydayfoodstorage.net
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    I have quickly read through this thread and can see that people store goods for different reasons.

My reason is to save money. I noticed someone mentioned they would rather keep their money in the bank than stock pile, but with interest rates as they are you get better interest on buying Branston Beans at 25p (4for £1 in some stores recently) than 'value' ones at 29p, and even better interest compared to branded beans. I bought £20 worth. Yes I like beans, but I won't eat them any more often than I used to. There was a really good offer on tinned tomatoes a while back too.

As well as offers, I keep an eye open for yellow stickered goods for the freezer, only yesterday I picked up packs of bread rolls from Asda for 5 & 10p. Great to have with soup made from odds and ends in the fridge.

Living near to several supermarkets I don't have to stockpile in case of running out of things but I am able to take advantage of all of the really good offers and reduced goods to make interest out of my money. I just make sure I don't buy things I am likely to eat more of like biscuits :o

.............. stockpiling for emergencies, eating more cheaply or making more interest on our money - it doesn't matter how we describe it, the shops are getting less of our cash!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I operate the rule of 1 in use, and 1 or 2 in reserve for most non-perishables, although I do have a few extra of certain things if the offer was very good (currenly Bold powder!). I keep extra cleaning things under the stairs. I also have a few extra tins of things like peas, butter beans etc on one of the kitchen low shelves. We used to stock up loads when we went south but am trying not to do this so much now as it is a pain to unload it all after a long journey home! It is tempting though as we only have Tesco, Lidl, Coop, local shops up here and there are some bargains/scrummy treats to be had in other shops!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Great thread ! I dont have a store cuboard but have a undercounter one with one of those turny things in
    I always keep in tinned soups,beans,spag,tuna,cornedbeef, I also have loads of gravy granuels dried pasta , stock cubes herbs and spices

then in my other cuboard i have flours,caster sugar,baking poweder etc

thats about it really dont stockpile huge amounts we could prob go a few weeks eating what we have in if u didnt want any fresh veg,fruit etc

But i can always whip up a cake or have beans n toast lol
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    If you didn't already know, I have an Inn in Scotland, and found myself in the "head chef position having not really cooked before. Just becuase I have a buisness / inn / restaurant, dont berate me or think im loaded! Im living hand to mouth on a weekly basis, prior to recession and the biggest concentration of swine flu in the uk being 9 miles away, didnt help buisness or tourist trade!
    However, I digress! Having gotten the courage to post a week ago, there is now no stopping me, and I apologise!
    I realised, through this site, and everyones helpful tips, just how much "money" was sitting on my shelves. It may be a buisness, but the principles are just the same, if not more important! I have 7 bottles of sesame oil, yes i might buy them cheaper as I have access to bulk suppliers, but that alone would be £42 just sitting there "in case" a recipe needs it. I have re assesed what I have in my 2 freezers and 4 fridges and also my "store cupboard" and resolved that I will only buy necessities between now, and when we close in Jan for 3 weeks. I have pretty much everything apart from weekly stuff that is on my menu that i need to buy if i run out, I have enough "specials" stockpiled for the boards for that time, and I need to not hoard but use what I have. Im no different to someone without a buisness, money saving is the same the world over, regardless of how you live, just that i need to make profit to live, i have no job other than the buisness, so I have to make it work. I do use everything - or so i thought, and I do make my "GP" on the majority of stuff, but when i read this thread and looked at my version of a "store cupboard" which has everything I "might" need I thought, OMG! so Thank you everyone for the reality check, I blame my gran who always had enough of everythign in, "just in case" and also had memories, reading threads, of our pre own buisness days, when we both worked, but had a seriously limited budget, and had so much fun shopping and finding bargains and making the most of what we had, they were our best times. We are by no means flush, and are barely keeping the buisness going atm, but this forum is a total inspiration, regardless of circumstance, and I think I can keep us going another 2 months on what we have stored and still have a great specials board to supplement our menu! (thank you morrisons for your half priced salmon sides!)
    I remember when I was nursing and flat sharing, and it was the end of the month, we would challenge each other to make a meal out of what we had - the food was erm... interesting, the fun times and memories of what we did make me smile.
    My best and happiest memories are of making the best out of nothing! and laughing :)
    Look out for my specials board the next few weeks! If anyone questions anchovies with tinned pears, I will simply say its the MSE store cupboard challenge! Who would argue!
    thank you - for once again making me remember nice things and use them up!
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure