Presentation as part of job interview

Options
I have just applied for a job in a charity/voluntary sector organisation, which will involve travelling, networking & giving presentations about/ promoting the organisation and its service. From the person spec I get the impression that if successful in getting an interview, part of that would comprise a presentation. I can sort the content & have experience of doing group presentations at Uni, and other types of presentation in different circumstances, however, what I wanted to ask is:

If you were an interviewer, what sort of presentation would you enjoy watching? What type of delivery/style would keep your interest & what would make you nod off? I am assuming that some powerpoint may be required, simply to demonstrate ability to use it, but that's not a definite.

So just interested to get suggestions/advice & learn from others' experiences...

Ta very much!!
Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

Comments

456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check beforehand if their will be a computer/projector some firms ask for presentations but don't allow visual aids

Try and make it as unique and targeted as possible
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    one where the presenter is relaxed, doesn't try too hard and makes the points simply and effectively...easier said than done, I know!

I would say yes to powerpoint, not because I believe it's a good tool, but because for an interview there will be an expectation you are proficient in it, and using it in the presentation demonstrates that.

Have a very limited number of slides - 4 or 5, and don't overload with words. Use pictures if possible.

Don't try to put over too much info. think of what the three key points are that you have to get over, and focus on communicating that.

Start off with a hook, which involves the interview panel. For example, ask a question or make a statement (non controversial!) from that day's news.

And just as you start, take three slow, deep breaths, consciously relax your shoulders, and smile at the interviewers... They will smile back and that will give you the confidence boost you need to deliver the winning presentation.:T

best of luck!
  • DanGrover
    Options
    In all my time of doing presentations, the one thing I've learnt is to be relaxed. No one likes hearing someone reading out a queue card, even if they're not holding it - if they're just rattling off stuff from their memory, it makes it seem like they're not interested; and if they aren't, why should you be? Try and engage with the audience - I'm sure you know the basics (eye contact etc). I personally tend to go for a more informal approach - simple, understandable and unambiguous language. I think the whole "synergy" and "building partnership brands" rubbish has become such a well known cliche that it's entirely possible to get away with much less formal presentations nowadays than previously.
  • eaton57_2
    eaton57_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I hate sitting through ppt presentations and they don't tell me much about your ability to relate to an audience, so if Im interviewing you the rule is no computer! (I will tell you this in advance though!)

Please DON'T prepare a ppt presentation anyway, bring handouts of the slides and talk your way through it. That gets a big cross under 'not able to follow instruction'.

Please DON'T prepare an essay & read it out. Only brilliant natural public speakers can do this and still engage the audience. I've never seen it happen in an interview and been impressed.

Please DON'T go over the time limit. If I'm interviewing you I'll stop you mid sentance & make you sit down again. You won't like that!

Please DO be yourself. I want to see your personality - especially if presentaions will be part of the job. Acknowledge your nerves if you need to, put your audience at ease, talk to us (not at us). Have cue cards rather than a sheet of paper if you think your hands might shake (it's so much less obvious).

Finally - answer the question. All parts of it if there are more than one. Seriously, some of your competitors will answer a different question or only the first bit. Imagine what an advantage that puts you at!

Please be VERY careful about being quirky. It's good to be memorable & stand out - but might be risky. Only you can know whre the line is, based on your own personality (if youy can't carry it off confidently don't do it, you'll embarass yourself & the interview panel) and the culture of the organisation you're applying to.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Squiggly_Diddly
    Options
    Thank you for all that, very useful - sometimes its being reminded to do the more basic stuff like (try to) relax and be natural in attempts to impress....

I think I will most likely be asked to use powerpoint, even if briefly, just to demonstrate an ability to use it - not necessarily because it's the best way of doing something...

But the essential is keep it simple, don't overwhelm people & don't just read verbatim off paper/cue cards then...

Thank you :)
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure