HELP! Being contacted by work whilst I'm on holiday....this surely can't be right...

Options
Hi all

I'm new and desperate for advice.

I work in a small shop and am currently on holiday and have been contacted about work related maters which definately could of waited till I'm back . I have made it perfectly clear that when I'm on holiday that I do not wish to be contacted but this problem persists. Is there anything I can do?

Please help,

Anderson

Comments

• Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Options
    Turn off your phone or ignore their calls?
  • sanderson_2
    Options
    Indeed, but should I have to turn my phone off and miss important calls? I thought there was perhaps some sort of law about this sort of thing?
  • Metranil_Vavin
    Metranil_Vavin Posts: 5,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I dont think there is any specific law against it.

If you dont want to turn off your phone, then just dont answer it when their number comes up.
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • sanderson_2
    Options
    I do see the point in not answering (when it's a text it just comes up) but should I have to put up with being badgered? It's not just once.....

I can't see why there is no sort of thing where work is not allowed to contact/disturb staff whilst on holiday......
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Just ignore it and delete any texts. Or be firm with them and TELL them that you're on holiday and do not want to be disturbed. If it's something that can wait, leave it until your return.

Just out of interest, do they have any other point of contact while you're off? Are you management there?
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just think of it as this ... you are a much valued member of staff and the workplace cant possibly function without you.

my OH has had the same in the past, 5 phone calls within an hour on a sunday when it's his day off

turn your phone off, dont answer the calls, change your number and dont tell work or if its that bad ... get a different job
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2009 at 8:03PM
    Options
    cally6008 wrote: »
    just think of it as this ... you are a much valued member of staff and the workplace cant possibly function without you.

my OH has had the same in the past, 5 phone calls within an hour on a sunday when it's his day off

turn your phone off, dont answer the calls, change your number and dont tell work or if its that bad ... get a different job

It was similar in my old job, I was training a number of staff in various places so I just accepted that I would more than likely be contacted on my day off. I really didn't mind as loved the place, but if I was unable to answer it, I let them know and they just had to wait until I was back at work (if i'm on a cruise ship many miles away, they can't contact me anyway!)

OP; maybe tell them you're abroad and they're less likely to phone? :p
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any reason work need to have your mobile number?

Could you get a PAYG phone for taking business calls and a different one for personal use?

I'd be speaking to my line manager saying I don't really appreciate being bothered with non-urgent work matters when on holiday. they're only human, so should see where you're coming from. Even if it's them doing the calling, they might stop if they knew it was an issue for you.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For the future, when you get back, get yourself a PAYG phone just for work - then when you go away in the future leave it at home.... work need never know about your other phone.
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    I used to have this problem with a job I did a few years ago, I got caller display so if it was work then I didn't pick up and could still answer calls I wanted to. Now I just pull the phone out if I don't want it to ring!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income