Help with a horrible situation please

Options
Hi,

I am new to this and really want to get my finances sorted but things keep getting in the way. I have looked at our finances and we have about £440 left to pay debts - so far so good. We owe council tax arrears so most/all this money should go to them. We owe several non-priority debts that we are struggling to pay/ignoring and hoping they will go away (silly I know).

The recent problems started when OH's pay dropped by about £2k a month as his work stopped all commissions. This has taken a lot to get used to.

Now he is under threat of redundancy, he will know in the next couple of weeks. If this happens I don't know what we will do as my pay won't cover all the outgoings.

On top of this our landlord is planning to sell, so we will need to save £1500 to £2000 to cover the move, deposits etc.

What can we do? I'm at my wits end.
Ebay challenge 2010 - £525
:idea:August 2009: Debt _pale_: [STRIKE]£55895.56[/STRIKE] £43069.65 - £12825.91 paid off so far (23%)
Council Tax Arrears Paid £6023.67/£6581.64 (92%) :j
2009 (5 months) £5753.53 paid / 2010 £7072.38 paid so far

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Myopicmoo and welcome

Can you post up a copy of your income & expenditure account (preferably using this link as it contains all the info we would need to know - http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html)

We'll see if we can advise anywhere you can save any money, the best order to tackle your debts and where you may need to cut down.

Have you also checked you are getting any/all the benefits you are entitled to with your husbands reduced salary? (www.entitledto.com)
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • MyopicMoo
    MyopicMoo Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tixy,

Thanks for your reply.

I will work on the income and expenditure thing - although, obviously it might change dramatically.

We are not entitled to any benefits, we were on a good salary, no kids etc. We have debts (OH has been unemployed/made redundant a couple of times in the past 5 years). Whenever I asked about benefits we were told that my salary was too high.

Our credit is shot and we have no savings and no one to borrow from - that is why I am so concerned about the house being sold - in theory we will get just 2 months notice.

I am claiming PPI and will also apply for bank charges under the hardship thing.

Just as I thought things were settling OH had a paycut and now this.
    :idea:August 2009: Debt _pale_: [STRIKE]£55895.56[/STRIKE] £43069.65 - £12825.91 paid off so far (23%)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Check oout as he may be entitled to contributions based JSA for 6 months even if not the income based JSA. It depends on what he worked in the relevant year.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • MyopicMoo
    MyopicMoo Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ras,

If he does get made redundant I will get him to check this, he has been working at his current place for just over 2 years. Anything would be a bonus if that happens!
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hello myopicmoo,

Please make out your SOA
    (link - http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html Try not to guess at the figures, dig out the paperwork. It is in fact one of the most important things you will do to start on the road to recovery. If you want a lot of help on this forum, posting your SOA is the first and most important step.

Also start a spending diary TODAY to find out exactly where you money goes. Knowledge is power.

Good Luck, looking forward to your next post.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Hello myopicmoo,

Please make out your SOA
    (link - http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html Try not to guess at the figures, dig out the paperwork. It is in fact one of the most important things you will do to start on the road to recovery. If you want a lot of help on this forum, posting your SOA is the first and most important step.

Also start a spending diary TODAY to find out exactly where you money goes. Knowledge is power.

Good Luck, looking forward to your next post.

How are you getting on? are you working on the SOA.I thought your situation was urgent??
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure