Help I need new glasses (advice on Tesco & SpecSavers)

Options
I wear contacts, I have done for 20 odd years.

The last time I got my eyes tested (1 year ago) they said I need readers as well as distance lenses & glasses.

I wear lenses nearly all the time & have a pair of glasses for lazy weekend mornings or long days when I have to take my lenses out before bedtime.

The readers I've never used, I didn't need them really when I first got them & they are not enough now.
But over the last two months my eyes have really changed, I have trouble at work on the PC & even difficulty shopping reading the small writing (cal & fat content) on labels. I try putting my readers on, but they don't seem to help.
So I've booked a test with Tesco for Thursday (straight after work, when my eyes are at their worst;)).

Tesco were advertising a BOGOF on £75+ glasses when I booked the test, but it doesn't mention it on their website now, has it stopped since Saturday:confused:?

Do you think Tesco is as good a SpecSavers for the test?

I think SpecSavers are doing a BOGOF too?

When you get the BOGOF glasses, if you pay for the £30 ultra clear coating do you get that on the free pair too? Or do you have to pay for it on the free pair?

Tesco do a free eye test & charge £15 for a contact lens "health check", I buy my contacts online, but its years since I had a proper "contacts" check/consultation, I just get the test for glasses & buy my contacts to that perscription.

How do other online contact lens buyers deal with this?

Anyone know how much SpecSavers charge for this?

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you get the test first and the result might indicate what other questions you might need to ask.

Just keep your fingers crossed that you won't need either bifocals or varifocals as the question about the lens coating might become pretty moot once you pick yourself up off the floor after finding out the price-tag.

I've heard a few negative opinions about Specsavers and I wouldn't personally trust Mt T the grocer anywhere near my precious eyes, I'd go to a proper opticians
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The BOGOF is just on the frame and the plain lens. You want coatings then you pay on the free pair as well. If you pay for the thinner lens you also pay again

I think Specsavers charge £30 for the contact lens checks if you dont buy from them.

Sounds like you are going to be needing varifocal glasses and lenses - saves having to keep chopping and changing
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    The BOGOF is just on the frame and the plain lens. You want coatings then you pay on the free pair as well. If you pay for the thinner lens you also pay again

I think Specsavers charge £30 for the contact lens checks if you dont buy from them.

Sounds like you are going to be needing varifocal glasses and lenses - saves having to keep chopping and changing

No, not ready for varifocals yet (well I hope not).

Because I wear contacts 95% of the time & just want readers to go over the contacts, don't want to wear glasses all the time.

Did someone tell me they sold vari or bi focal contact lenses now?????
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why don't you get the test first and the result might indicate what other questions you might need to ask.

Just keep your fingers crossed that you won't need either bifocals or varifocals as the question about the lens coating might become pretty moot once you pick yourself up off the floor after finding out the price-tag.

I've heard a few negative opinions about Specsavers and I wouldn't personally trust Mt T the grocer anywhere near my precious eyes, I'd go to a proper opticians

I though they were susposed to be really good:confused:

I was wondering if Tesco optitions were as good:confused:

I was going to let the glasses choice/range dictate where I bought my glasses from, I was going to look in SpecSavers on Wednesday before my test booked for Thursday:confused:
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    No, not ready for varifocals yet (well I hope not).

Because I wear contacts 95% of the time & just want readers to go over the contacts, don't want to wear glasses all the time.

Did someone tell me they sold vari or bi focal contact lenses now?????

they do sell vari focal lenses , i couldnt get on with them because i wasnt happy with the distance reading when driving ( although vision was up to driving standards ) . So now i have a long distance lens in one eye and a short distance lens in the other , and although it sounds odd they work fine
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    they do sell vari focal lenses , i couldnt get on with them because i wasnt happy with the distance reading when driving ( although vision was up to driving standards ) . So now i have a long distance lens in one eye and a short distance lens in the other , and although it sounds odd they work fine

I think that would make me dizzy?

Did it take long to get used to?

I can't understand how they work, because soft lenses move on the eye (float)?

So how do they stay the right way up???
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If its of any help - I've used Specsavers for years and always ask for and get a 10% discount for being a regular customer.....
  • poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tesco had their bogof on yesterday...I've gone there for years...no problems...2 pairs of glasses for under £90.....specsavers went there once..one pair £200 odd and they weren't even that funky looking!!!lol
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vari and bi lenses are weighted at the bottom so they dont rotate

However they are really difficult to get as good a vision as you would with glasses if you have a high prescription. Getting one long and one short lens a common fix.

And varifocal glasses are not so expensive. I got two pairs just recently from Specsavers on the BOGOF - total price for two top of the range designer frames, top of the range varifocal lenses, coatings and everything else I had to cough up for - £350.Yes thats a lot of money BUT I chose the top ranges. I have in the past got two pairs for £125

Im very lucky that my specsavers is very good for prescribing - Ive not yet had a duff prescription from them. Still trying to get lenses though but because my astigmatism is so bad its proving a challange. However they have now advised that I may like to have a hard lens trial
  • esmecullen
    esmecullen Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    My honest opinion is avoid Tesco like the plague. My mum went to one of their opticians and not only was she given the wrong prescription lenses which caused her a lot of headaches, the optician there refused to accept that he's prescribed wrongly despite my mother attending another optician who informed her that the lenses in her new glasses were too strong for her. All this was put in writing.

Tesco's optician refused point blank to refund the cost of my mother's glasses, she is now taking this up with their head office.

Seems Tesco opticians are like their food.......... looks okay on the outside................. crap on the inside!!

I dont really have an opinion on Specsavers have heard good and bad things about them
    total airhead, total bimbo, very superficial:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport