Charging Order? The myth

Options

Comments

• DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Asparagus.. I have replied on your thread to ask how much the Charging Order is for, as presumably, you would need to deduct that amount from your share of any equity in the property…
    Regards, Dakota.
  • andip1967
    Options
    Hi,

Hope somebody can shed some light on my predicament please?

I am in the process of trying to sell my late Mother's property, she passed away in 1999 and because I was in such a state I never applied for probate etc.

I now have probate, allowing me to process the sale, however I have hit a rather large stumbling block!

My solicitor has informed me that their is a charge on the house from a company that is now dissolved (2009), they didn't have any accountants involved, so we have no way of contacting them. I think this charge is from an unsecured loan my Mother may of taken out! I cannot prove anything cause I don't have any paperwork.

I do have a buyer for the property, bit they will not purchase with this charge, obviously!

I seem to be going down a blind ally, I have read about the RX3 form for bona vacantia but I don't have enough evidence.
  • eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hopefully Land Registry Rep may be able to give some advice of what the procedure is in these circumstances as it seems the house was solely owned?
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,797 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the 'charge' you refer to as in can you post the wording with the names removed perhaps?

You mention an RX3 and bona vacantia re the dissolved company so I assume it is a restriction that is protecting that interest but can you clarify please?
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • andip1967
    andip1967 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2016 at 4:48PM
    Options
    The charge refers to a class C1 subclass 1 registered in 1986 against the properties address, hope this helps.
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Thanks andip1967 - a Class C (1) charge relates to second and subsequent legal mortgages i.e. those where the lender does not hold the title deeds.

These are registered at Land Charges against the named individual and not against an address where the property is unregistered. And this seems to tie in with the details in your original post, namely unsecured loan and your late Mother presumably having owned the property for some time and therefore it is unregistered.

As such an RX3 is not the right form as that deals with registered land.

Our Practice Guide 63 Section 5 deals with the removal of such land charge entries and links you to the form(s) needed.
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dcouponzzzz
    Options
    Sorry but I'm not sure if my case is even remotely related, but would like some advice.

I joint own my home with my sister, we would love to be able to put it on the market now and use our equity for our own deposits on other houses. Our mortgage was opened via the Post Office with Bank of Ireland on a 5 year fixed rate, 4.9% and this was in April 2012. When requesting our settlement figure, they're charging a 5% buyout fee all the way til December 2016, at which point there will be no financial penalty for selling or remortgaging.

I wasn't financially savvy or even interested when I signed the contract, but it does state a 5% buyout fee for the fixed rate term on reading back.

Is there anything I can do to void this? My guess is no but can't hurt to ask.
    Started 07/15. Car finance £6951 , Mortgage: 261k - Savings: £0! Home improvements are expensive
  • andip1967
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I cannot find the deeds for the property either. Now I have probate am I able to apply for them in my name. Will the charge still be on until I have filled the necessary paperwork.
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    andip1967 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I cannot find the deeds for the property either. Now I have probate am I able to apply for them in my name. Will the charge still be on until I have filled the necessary paperwork.

If you have probate then the transfer to you as the beneficiary will trigger the need to register for the first time.
    You will need to clear the Class C charge before registering but I would strongly recommend getting some legal advice to assist with this.

Our online guidance and Practice Guide 1 explains how to register for the first time but the complexities you are facing may mean you need wider advice and we cannot really provide that I'm afraid - the key seems to be understanding how the dissolved company's asset as recognised by the class C charge is treated legally.
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Sorry but I'm not sure if my case is even remotely related, but would like some advice.

I wasn't financially savvy or even interested when I signed the contract, but it does state a 5% buyout fee for the fixed rate term on reading back.

Is there anything I can do to void this? My guess is no but can't hurt to ask.

dcouponzzzz - this one might be better posted on the Mortgages/Endowments forum rather than here as it does not seem to relate to a charging order issue
    You may get more help there?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback