Help!!! I need a formal day dress

Options
I am hopeless with fashion and am going to an unveiling of a memorial. There will be hundreds of people there and I really want to go to represent my deceased dad. I have a patterned calf length cotton skirt that I wore for a wedding, with a short sleeved matching overshirtshirt in the same material and a plain knitted cotton sleeved top underneath, It all matched in shades of turquoise and it befitted my age of 61 and I felt fine at the wedding. I am a cuddly shape

Oh help, is that formal enough. We don`t need to wear a hat

omg I so want to go but am not confident. I don`t want to spend money

Comments

• hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds fine to me, but if you have time, you could always try ebay. If you put in "Mother of the Bride" you will get loads of outfits, at very little cost that are for formal occasions.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you, hilstep. I didn`t think about mother of the bride
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi kittie,

It certainly sounds formal enough to me, especially if the weather is good. Do you have some nice costume jewelery that you can wear to dress it up even more? You should have confidence in yourself...I was shocked to read that you are 61 as you come across as much younger in your posts. Go and enjoy yourself and do both you and your Dad proud.

MSE Andrea has said that the Health and Beauty board is the best place to post for fashion advice so I'll move this thread over there once you've had advice from other Old Stylers and it's dropped off the first page, to see if you can get some more help.

I hope you have a lovely time.

Pink
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If you felt comfortable at a wedding in the outfit you will be fine for a formal day do I would say.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh thanks all of you, sorry PW I was in a tizz and was typing furiously but I am calm now. I will wear my outfit as in post 1 and I will dress it up. Phew thats sorted then lol But I will get some black comfy shoes from cosyfeet, my sandals won`t do at all. I think we`ll be doing a lot of standing and I grew out of stilletoes ages ago
  • jollymummy
    jollymummy Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    Your outfit sounds lovely and feeling comfortable is the most important thing. I attended the unveiling of a war memorial that my lovely Dad and his British Legion mates helped raise funds for. it is around 8 years ago, was a scorching hot day and I wore a flowery tea dress and tbh most other folks wore similar stuff, we had a lovely day.
    Make sure you wear comfy shoes and have a fab time.
    JM
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business