Dental plate

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there has a dental plate?
I have crown at the front and it fell off this mornng, went to dentists and it can't be put back, it was on a stell post and that has eroded(or whatever it is the steel post does), so altho he has stuck my crown back on, its extremely volatile and very unsafe.
he has taken molds etc and sent off for me to have a single tooth plate, but he warned me it will take some getting used to.

I am devastated at the total loss of my front crown,had it 30 years tho(not THIS actual crown, but some different ones along the way).
It will be fitted next fri,, I am soo hoping this crown lasts that long but it's not likely!

So, anyone got a plate? How bad are they? can you live a normal life with it? Do you have to take it out at night?

Very fed up!

x

Comments

• tirednewdad
    tirednewdad Posts: 256 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2009 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Condolances on the loss of your front tooth- i understand it can be traumatising to lose.

Alot of people wear dentures- you will have what is called an immedaite denture- usually a temp measure. After healing has occured in 6-12 months then alternatives should be discussed with your dentist such as implants/ bridge/ new denture.

For the first night (when you have the tooth removed) you are to wear the denture in overnight. At all other nights the denture is to be removed at night.

A new denture will take adapting to and 99% of people are able to cope with it with no problem.

Initaily the denture will feel strange and will feel like you have a toffee stuck to your palate.
    Your speach will also be slightly effected- but this will return to normal after a few hours.
    You need to perserve with the dentures, but in the main people get on very well with them.
    :money: Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to everyone who has helped.
  • Serena51
    Serena51 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have had a partial upper plate for 46 years, from when I was twelve. The original NHS ones were awful - felt like a wodge of stuff all over the roof of my mouth. Once I was working, at 15, I paid for a private one which was metal instead of plastic and designed to fit around the gum line and not over the roof of the mouth - fantastic. I was again able to laugh out loud and eat properly with the benefit of tasting the food. Since then I have always taken this option although the last one cost nearly a thousand pounds but I think worth every penny.

That said, if you only have one tooth the replace then surely you could have a bridge. Do discuss this with your dentist, if it's going to cost you I would seriously consider giving up something else (holiday/hairdo) and spend the money on this instead, in the long run it will be well worth it.
  • jugglebug
    jugglebug Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Serena51 wrote: »
    I have had a partial upper plate for 46 years, from when I was twelve. The original NHS ones were awful - felt like a wodge of stuff all over the roof of my mouth. Once I was working, at 15, I paid for a private one which was metal instead of plastic and designed to fit around the gum line and not over the roof of the mouth - fantastic. I was again able to laugh out loud and eat properly with the benefit of tasting the food. Since then I have always taken this option although the last one cost nearly a thousand pounds but I think worth every penny.

That said, if you only have one tooth the replace then surely you could have a bridge. Do discuss this with your dentist, if it's going to cost you I would seriously consider giving up something else (holiday/hairdo) and spend the money on this instead, in the long run it will be well worth it.

If a bridge is placed too soon then you end up with a big gap underneath it as the gums heal over time, so the immediate denture is the 1st port of call usually.
    I tend to call em temporary dentures though as the gum shrinkage means they are very often (not always but often) useless after 6 months.
    If the neighbouring teeth are post crowns too I would be very wary of using them as bridge retainers. Post crowns are the weakest sort of crown, basically only used when there is no option, so swinging a bigger structure of them is asking for it.
    Long term for me the most cost effective route and biologically effective is an implant (I dont place them by the way, dunno how yet :o) But they are as permanent as anything man made can be, dont involve chopping at other teeth and dont fallout when you bite into a toffee apple :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure