We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Newbie here...need help
dawnsparties
Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi guys
I have around £25k of unsecured debt (mainly interest makes up that figure :mad:) which I've been paying off on a DMP for over 6 years now at £100 pm to around 15 creditors. I stupidly got myself into this mess by getting credit on catalogues, store/credit cards & loans thinking I could afford it as I had to work full-time while my ex (the lazy scrub) sat on his backside all day playing his playstation & looking our daughter. I basically got used to buy my ex's lifestyle, we have a massive joint debt (£11k loan) which he's never contributed a penny towards & don't even get me started with the CSA payments!
To cut a long story short, I've been advised last month after having my annual review, to consider BR as it'll take me over 20 years to pay off my debts. It's something I'm willing to do but my boyfriend is saying it'll affect him (we have no joint income/debts/accounts etc). He has his own car in his name but I'm a named driver on the insurance. I use his car a lot as I suffer from long-term back problems & pelvic pain from my previous pregnancy with my son. I have Sky tv which is my name but my boyfriend pays for the bill as it's mainly for the kids. And I have a orange contract phone but I'm gonna cancel the contract when it ends within the next 2 mths.
I already have a basic bank account with Lloyds & as for credit, I don't ever want credit again!!
What questions do the official reciever ask? Sorry for the long-winded post just worried/confused etc.
I have around £25k of unsecured debt (mainly interest makes up that figure :mad:) which I've been paying off on a DMP for over 6 years now at £100 pm to around 15 creditors. I stupidly got myself into this mess by getting credit on catalogues, store/credit cards & loans thinking I could afford it as I had to work full-time while my ex (the lazy scrub) sat on his backside all day playing his playstation & looking our daughter. I basically got used to buy my ex's lifestyle, we have a massive joint debt (£11k loan) which he's never contributed a penny towards & don't even get me started with the CSA payments!
To cut a long story short, I've been advised last month after having my annual review, to consider BR as it'll take me over 20 years to pay off my debts. It's something I'm willing to do but my boyfriend is saying it'll affect him (we have no joint income/debts/accounts etc). He has his own car in his name but I'm a named driver on the insurance. I use his car a lot as I suffer from long-term back problems & pelvic pain from my previous pregnancy with my son. I have Sky tv which is my name but my boyfriend pays for the bill as it's mainly for the kids. And I have a orange contract phone but I'm gonna cancel the contract when it ends within the next 2 mths.
I already have a basic bank account with Lloyds & as for credit, I don't ever want credit again!!
What questions do the official reciever ask? Sorry for the long-winded post just worried/confused etc.
0
Comments
-
Hi Dawnparties,
Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of great advise & info on here so don't worry. I've added a few comments.dawnsparties wrote: »Hi guys
I have around £25k of unsecured debt (mainly interest makes up that figure :mad:) which I've been paying off on a DMP for over 6 years now at £100 pm to around 15 creditors. I stupidly got myself into this mess by getting credit on catalogues, store/credit cards & loans thinking I could afford it as I had to work full-time while my ex (the lazy scrub) sat on his backside all day playing his playstation & looking our daughter. I basically got used to buy my ex's lifestyle, we have a massive joint debt (£11k loan) which he's never contributed a penny towards & don't even get me started with the CSA payments!
To cut a long story short, I've been advised last month after having my annual review, to consider BR as it'll take me over 20 years to pay off my debts. It's something I'm willing to do but my boyfriend is saying it'll affect him (we have no joint income/debts/accounts etc). He has his own car in his name but I'm a named driver on the insurance. I use his car a lot as I suffer from long-term back problems & pelvic pain from my previous pregnancy with my son. BR is a personal thing and will not affect your bf in anyway esp as you have no joint debts. I'm not sure about the car ins but that shouldn't be a problem as your only a named driver. I have Sky tv which is my name but my boyfriend pays for the bill as it's mainly for the kids. Sky TV will have to come out of your surplus as it is looked at as a luixury - there's freeview with just as many good channels. Your surplus will be any money left over after all you essential living expenses have been accounted for - but we'll go through that when you get there. And I have a orange contract phone but I'm gonna cancel the contract when it ends within the next 2 mths. This will be fine, any arrrears can go into your br.
I already have a basic bank account with Lloyds & as for credit, I don't ever want credit again!! I have a feeling that Lloyds will close your account as they are not BR friendly, but there are Barclays & the Co-Op who are both BR friendly who offer basic accts.
What questions do the official reciever ask? Sorry for the long-winded post just worried/confused etc. This post will give an an idea of the questions that may be asked. Though it depends on the individual.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1832561
There are some goos stickies at the top of the forum which also have lots of good advise and don't be afraid to ask. Maybe have your bf read them as well to put his mind at rest?
Good Luck.BSC 289A life lived in fear is a life not living!Proud to have dealt with my debts.0 -
And the bonus is the ex bf will be solely responsible for the £11k joint debt
BSCno.87The only stupid question is an unasked oneLoving life as a Kernow Hippy0 -
aww....shame
:D We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will0 -
Isn't it just Phil, that poor man is going to be hassled by DCA's who will make his life such a misery, the poor darling, what is he going to do :rotfl:
!!!!!!!!! Phil, I started the post and you were Grumpy and I finished it and you were the Cooooookie Monsteeeeeeer!!!!!!BSCno.87The only stupid question is an unasked oneLoving life as a Kernow Hippy0 -
well.....he could always come here for advice
:D:rotfl: We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will0 -
:rotfl: With the little we know of him I feel safe laying an odds on bet that he wouldn't
BSCno.87The only stupid question is an unasked oneLoving life as a Kernow Hippy0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards