Dental charges - what do you pay for yours?

Options
Just been to the dentist and had to get a filling. :( Mind you, only my second ever at the grand old age of 24, so I'm not doing too badly! :rotfl:

Got that one done today (white) and going back to get a corrective one done to fix a little chip in my front tooth. Also got a scale and polish.

For the pleasure of sitting in the dentist chair and being drilled at for 20 minutes, I was charged £53! :eek: My teeth are in good nick so being totally honest I don't visit the dentist all that much, but are these normal prices?!

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.

Comments

• isodan
    isodan Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have just paid £55 for a white filling, after paying the band 1 NHS charge for the check up £16.50 ish.

I think they set their own charges for private work!
  • tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NHS dental charges from 1 April 2009
    Band 2 course of treatment – £45.60
    [FONT=Frutiger 45 Light,Frutiger 45 Light][FONT=Frutiger 45 Light,Frutiger 45 Light]This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth. [/FONT]

White fillings are usually more, hence your bill of £55[/FONT]
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, wasn't disputing it, was just wondering if there was a national pricing scheme to this. Although that would seem that he isn't charging me for the other little filling I am getting done at the front?

Also, do you pay to get wisdom teeth out at the hospital? Got an appointment to go and see the facial clinic at my hospital, but wondering how much it is going to be?

• tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A 'course of treatment' can cover several fillings all covered within the £45.60 charge (plus extra for white if required)

You should not have to pay for wisdom teeth removal in an NHS hospital, unless you opt to go privately.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    When I last had my car repaired at a main dealer (long story) they charged £140 an hour plus materials!!!! The local beauty salon charges £60 for a half hour massage.

To run a dental surgery costs upwards of £130 an hour depending where you are and is much more expensive in big cities such as London. Dental inflation(the cost of running a practice) is running at over 10% a year as the legislation requirements,equipment etc is getting more expensive by the day. A friend interested in setting up a new smallish practice in not too ritzy an area was looking at spending around £400,000 by the time he had equipment and set up to comply with latest regulations.

For your £54 you had the undivided attention and skills of two qualified people (dentist and nurse) for 20 mins, part use of the receptionist and use of expensive equipment and helped to cover the cost of when the dentist,nurse etc have to do their annual training in various disciplines. Still think you paid too much?
  • hieveryone
    edited 22 July 2009 at 11:24PM
    Options
    Erm, no where did I say I paid too much - I was asking others if this is the set prices as I haven't been to the dentist in a while, as I was out of the country.

Maybe you should try reading what people actually write before wading in on your high horse?

And it was £53.

• dieselhead
    dieselhead Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    Well I am a private patient and I pay £30 for a checkup and a scale and polish every six months. Fortunately never had a filling so I have no idea how much that would be.
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • hieveryone
    Options
    Just to make it clear I wasn't b1tching about the cost etc, just wondered if there was a scale of charges, or if each dentist basically did their own thing. I'm not too clued up on NHS vs private dentists as I've spent a lot of time out of the country plus my teeth are in good nick anyway.

But thanks :)

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    "Erm, no where did I say I paid too much - I was asking others if this is the set prices as I haven't been to the dentist in a while, as I was out of the country.

Maybe you should try reading what people actually write before wading in on your high horse?"

Actually what you wrote was "For the pleasure of sitting in the dentist chair and being drilled at for 20 minutes, I was charged £53! :eek: " so sorry if i misinterpreted what you were saying as it didn't convey a really positive vibe!!!! However very few people make investigations to find out if they paid too little for treatment!

NHS have set prices ,private dentists have varying costs as i tried to explain so will charge varying amounts.
  • hieveryone
    Options
    The 'non positive vibe' you picked up on was the fact that there was a drill in my mouth for most of that time, which isn't something most people just love to pay for ;)

Next time if you misinterpret something, maybe try asking the poster to explain further rather than wading in with sarcy comments and everyone will be happy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport