Menopause supplements

Options
Hi - I'm going through the menopause and looking for natural health supplements to try to help with the mood swings hot flushes etc! The ones I've seen in Boots seem expensive has anyone tried them do they work or have you tried cheaper alternatives that work just as well?? Some packs seem only to contain 2 weeks supply and cost £8 or thereabouts.

Any tips gratefully received.

Comments

• londoner1998
    londoner1998 Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A work colleague told me she was amazed how much eating lots of fish helped with her symptoms... reduce meat and saturated fats and increase omega 3-6, soya products etc... Also, up your vegetable intake.
    I would try evening primrose oil and anything with omega oils, but I am more inclined to change the diet itself, the nutrients are absorbed much better by your body...
    Do you exercise? I practice Iyengar yoga (although I am not menopausal yet) and with this method there are special sequences for menopause, as well as special classes for certain groups: it is important you start doing some kind of weight-bearing exercise to start building up bome mass- yoga is ideal for this as it is very gentle. No pre-requisites to start. I know how much it makes a difference to a woman's health as I used to have terrible periods and very irregular and this is no longer the case. I go to class with women in going through the menopause and they all agree i is very good for their well-being. If you want more details, PM me .
    Things like yoga, tai-chi, chi-gong, etc... are fantastic for transition times like the one you are experimenting and in the long run, cheaper.
  • shell_girl
    shell_girl Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    Used to work in a health shop and heard great things about several of the herbal HRT alternatives. Please check with your doctor before taking any of them, they may be herbal but are still medicines. Several of the ones available over the counter have quite important contra- indications that you need to check with your doctor if you have a pre existing medical condition, or in some cases if you have ever been treated for a particular condition.

Google the recipe for HRT cake for a natural way of upping oestrogen levels at a level that is safe for the majority of people regardless of medical history.
    Don't suffer alone - if you are experiencing Domestic Abuse contact the National Domestic Abuse Helplines
    England 0808 2000 247 Wales 0808 80 10 800 Scotland 0800 027 1234 Northern Ireland 0800 917 1414 Republic of Ireland 1800 341 900. Free and totally confidential.
  • londoner1998
    londoner1998 Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Totally second Shell_girl's comments- even though nartural, these remedies are still medicines...look for a quilified practicioner who can guide you safely knowing you medical history. Same applies for yoga/tai-chi instructors is you decide to practice- there are a lot fo charlatan's and menopause is a highly individual state to be in, every body has different needs...whatever you do, remember you need to work with your body, not against it!
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i had horrible hot flushes that kept me awake on and off all night so i ordered something called menapol plus from simply supplements and it seems to be helping... says take 2 a days but i am only taking 1

they are 9.99 for 120 so work out a lot cheaper

obviously as the others say u have to check them against anything else u are taking

good luck
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Justwed08
    Justwed08 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all your suggestions - my diet is pretty good the doctor suggested taking natural alternative to combat the hot flushes and sweating - day and night which is getting me down. I'm 45 and finding it all quite tough going as thought it would be few more years before I was experiancing all this! Am also suffering from adult acne so taking oral antibiotics for that too but doctor said I could take supplements with no problems just wary of spending shed loads of money on tablets that don't really help.

thanks once again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport