We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mobile Phone Contract

redwin11
redwin11 Posts: 75 Forumite
edited 6 December 2009 at 4:55PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Edited....

Comments

  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    No, I have seen on here that people have managed to get mobile phone contracts. It varies between the companies and isn't consisitent.

    As far as I remember you can't change the contract over once another person has it in their name without another credit check. May be wrong.

    Have you checked all 3 of your credit report files since you have been discharged, is everything correct as that will make a difference as well?

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=677875
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I think I read the other week that someone had some success with O2.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I did read somewhere that phones 4 u and carphone warehouse do in house credit checking (and depending on how bad they want the sale) they'd accept someone with poor credit ratings....

    (Tigerfeet thank you for the PM meant a lot!....tried replying but as usual your bloomin box is full!!...wish I'd been so popular!)
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks for the tip Phil.

    (will go empty my inbox :o)
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I've been discharged over 5 years and got accepted with T Mobile on a 30 day sim deal, then approached Vodafone and have read on forums they can be harder to get a contract with.
    Anyway, applied online, as I did it 'out of hours' they said they would be in touch:o Next morning I got a 'welcome to Vodafone' email, this time I have a very nice phone and 18 month contract:eek:
    So it can be done, good luck with it.
  • Maybeelady
    Maybeelady Posts: 131 Forumite
    I have a few months left on my current mobile contract (with Vodafone) - what happens when you go BR? Do you still need to pay the remainder of the contract or do they cancel it immediately?
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 23 July 2009 at 10:11AM
    Maybeelady wrote: »
    I have a few months left on my current mobile contract (with Vodafone) - what happens when you go BR? Do you still need to pay the remainder of the contract or do they cancel it immediately?
    Bosie wrote: »
    I've been discharged over 5 years and got accepted with T Mobile on a 30 day sim deal, then approached Vodafone and have read on forums they can be harder to get a contract with.
    Anyway, applied online, as I did it 'out of hours' they said they would be in touch:o Next morning I got a 'welcome to Vodafone' email, this time I have a very nice phone and 18 month contract:eek:
    So it can be done, good luck with it.



    depends.....if you want to keep the mobile contract then the OR will give an allowance for it...if your looking to end the contract then the OR will cancel it...no need to pay anything for the remainder of the contract.....bear in mind though you'd struggle to get another contract once BR so if you can afford to keep it its worth it

    good to hear you had good news bosie.....problem is you dont know til you try really although like banks there seems to be NO consistency with mobile providers either....what they offer one person is no guarantee someone else will get
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • I asked O2 if i could get a contract phone for my girlfriend as a birthday surprise then swap it into her name. They said they would and would only do the credit check on the person who started the contract.

    So you could always get someone else to sign up for you then swap the name on the contract... I think the contract will essentially always stay in the other persons name however you would be liable for the bills and stuff.

    The bad news is i dont think it would count towards your credit... just build up your friends credit....
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.